LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME controls set up?

hi all,

there used to be an app that did this but i don't think it's been updated in a long time and i can't even remember the name of it :)

anyone know of a current app or plug in that does the following for MAME?

you select specific control layout, joystick, spinner, trackball, etc. number of players, alternating or simultaneous play, etc.  you then set up the controls for that control type and the app or plug in outputs all of the ini files for those games to be put in the mame ini folder.

the reason for something like this...  you can set controls globally within mame but there are so many exceptions that you will then need to tackle on a per game basis.  some examples:

• twin stick shooter like robotron.  it's an alternating player game so the two sticks i would set up would be different then the two sticks i would set up for say smashtv as that is a simultaneous 2 player two stick shooter
  • different button count games.  for a game like street fighter, you would set up the buttons three over three.  so within MAME, button 4 would be the first button in the second row of buttons.  But for a game that is 4 buttons (neo geo games for instance), you would want to set up 4 buttons straight across on one row.

i hope this makes sense and that someone may have a lead?

thanks all!