LaunchBox Community Forums

RomM (Rom Manager) support

binarygeek119

source github - "RomM (Rom Manager) is a web based retro roms manager integrated with IGDB."

would be nice to be able to download games from Romm. if a game (mario 64) is missing you can click a download button on it to pull from Romm. at home this isnt much of a needed thing but would be nice. but the mobile app it would be great. as my phone has a very small amount of storage. i can swap out games as i need but if i want to chnage out a game when not at home this would be great.

the project is open source. and would be a great collaboration between here and there. lots of things are in the works.

Link: ? not sure if i can share it on here. if a can i will chnage this. ?

go to github and sreach for Romm.

this runs in docker, and is a web front end.

m_search.png

m_home.png

gallery.png

home.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I don't necessarily need support as I have a few other solutions to implement this.  I will say that i am working to move to a self hosted web first rom management solution and RomM is one of the tools in my stack.  My end goal is to do with games what Plex/*Arrs let me do for tv/movies.  Obviously emulation in a browser isn't quite where i'd want it so i'd still depend on OS native emulators.  This doesn't even touch on my MacOS users (ugh).

For Launchbox ideally i would like a solution that allowed me to add my family to my library and have a built in solution similar to "Archive Cache Manager" to locally cache larger games.  Even being able to have users point to a webdav share would work as long as it could import the roms and metadata automatically.  I don't mind complications on the the admin side if it's easier on the end user side.  I'd buy a few more lifetime licenses if there was an easier way to achieve this through LaunchBox.  *something something feature creep*

• The Cake is a Lie 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, Anatrok said:

I don't necessarily need support as I have a few other solutions to implement this.  I will say that i am working to move to a self hosted web first rom management solution and RomM is one of the tools in my stack.  My end goal is to do with games what Plex/*Arrs let me do for tv/movies.  Obviously emulation in a browser isn't quite where i'd want it so i'd still depend on OS native emulators.  This doesn't even touch on my MacOS users (ugh).

For Launchbox ideally i would like a solution that allowed me to add my family to my library and have a built in solution similar to "Archive Cache Manager" to locally cache larger games.  Even being able to have users point to a webdav share would work as long as it could import the roms and metadata automatically.  I don't mind complications on the the admin side if it's easier on the end user side.  I'd buy a few more lifetime licenses if there was an easier way to achieve this through LaunchBox.  *something something feature creep*

Have you found a way to easily setup RomM to access Launchbox Roms folder, like an config.yml with the platform and folders properly set?

If they are dealing with actual ROM swapping online they are a prime target for every major gaming company that makes games for consoles. I would not expect them to be a stable collaboration prospect and a possible huge liability.

This is something retro aligned devs need to dance around very carefully, and it looks like these guys are going over the safety line into clear and present litigation central.

Edited by Paultimate

7 hours ago, mizifih said:

Have you found a way to easily setup RomM to access Launchbox Roms folder, like an config.yml with the platform and folders properly set?

for my set up have have RomM running on my homelab alongside all the other *arrs containers.  my homelab storage is where my complete collection is.  RomM manages file naming and organization:
image.thumb.png.9407346574753fbb826f256e8d8e5398.png
RomM's library is a local network accessible SMB share.  For example these are some pokemon roms I have dumped with the Epilogue GB Operator.
I have my Launchbox instance running on a HTPC.  I use "Link Shell Extension" to create a symlink between the gb folder on Network share and the Nintendo Game Boy folder in my launchbox directory.  Launchbox media (box art, etc) is saved locally on my HTPC and i use Archive Cache Manager to automatically copy games from my network storage to my HTPC when a game launches.
image.thumb.png.584b8d718bae8f6b2b60651e4e9b9c1d.png
There are other reasons i have it set up this way but that is more homelab stuff  (offsite backup, integration with dedup scripting, internet accessibility, etc etc)
This solution works on my local network, but when away from my house I am not able to easily access everything with launchbox.  I can go to romm.anatrok.me and download/upload individual roms while i'm on the go, but it would be nice to have that integration.  Romm also has an API, but i wouldn't know where to start with writing a launchbox plugin.  I can write the api calls if someone can write the launchbox dialogues that trigger them.
image.thumb.png.af49540284575f254300784323c2944e.png

4 hours ago, Paultimate said:

If they are dealing with actual ROM swapping online they are a prime target for every major gaming company that makes games for consoles. I would not expect them to be a stable collaboration prospect and a possible huge liability.

This is something retro aligned devs need to dance around very carefully, and it looks like these guys are going over the safety line into clear and present litigation central.

Totally hear you on liability which is why RomM is a selfhosted solution.  This is completely safe territory.  RomM is a web front end that contains no roms out of the box.  You add roms to the server no different from adding roms to launchbox folders.  It doesn't make a difference if it's over the internet.  If romm was unauthenticated and public romm instances started popping up all over the internet maybe it would start coming under scrutiny.  Thankfully this isn't the case and RomM doesn't even allow you to disable authentication or enable a guest account.  The use case for RomM is private libraries to share with friends and family...it's not like archive.org hahaha.

6 hours ago, binarygeek119 said:

its like jellyfin or plex its self hosted. you can keep it internal access or open it up to the internet with a auth user/password system. it would be no different than what people do with plex or jellyfin. 

You understand that sharing your plex filled with Hollywood and Disney films and shows off all sorts online for people to view isnt legal right? Just because we can get away with things like this doesn't mean its a stable business to partnership in. When money starts entering the equation it becomes far more than hehe im just sharing my files dude. That was the point of my post. So the liability is trusting ROMM never ever do that ever pinky promise oops it looks like thats possible oops didnt mean to oops it was just with friends and family (as if that matters?) oops. No, thats a clusterfuck not worth the risk.

Edited by Paultimate

Using or developing RomM does not directly point to shared use.  Are there people who publicly face all their services, yes, some without any authentication, and some who sell access to their illegal setup.  RomM is perfectly fine for collectors, just as much as Launchbox is.  I personally seek out any collection manager, organizer, server that I can to feed my own personal, various uses.  Do I share at times as well?

I use all the referenced applications to share within my own household perfectly legally (as much as me having the content is legal itself - thankfully personal has been mostly preserved).

TLDR - Yes, there's legal considerations for the use of any and all preservation and serving applications and you personally have to be smart with your own usage and sharing in your setup.

The issue isnt if ROMM or LB separately are ok if used responsibly. The issue is LB owners would have to rely on the whims of a third party that is doing what they do to not get them into hot water by relation, as again, money would be involved. Its much easier (and hard enough) to manage stuff you have full control over.

Imagine if LB implemented direct archive.org downloading direct to bigbox. or implemented WiiU USB Helper integration. And many more, would be super awesome but it would catch upto them at some point. A big part of legal protection is obscurity and plausible deniability. You cannot make this sort of stuff TOO easy for the end user

Maybe I wasn't clear in my understanding of your stance.  If you're arguing that integration shouldn't be a feature in LB proper, I completely agree for the same reasons.  I do, however very much see the desire and need for large collectors for a plugin that could utilize such a self-hosted service.

well technically the art work and metadata is also copyrighted which a studio like ea or activision could come after not only launchbox for launchboxdb but also thought other site like screenscraper and thegamedb and emumovies. screenshots box art trailers cd scans manuals icons even the wording of the metadata they could go after or even the use of the name like activision as the publisher in the metadata. now one could argue they fair use or remakes of it, but the thing is are you willing to put up court cost defending that it was all in fair use. look at bleem they were proven right that it was all on the up and up and sony keep pushing that it wasnt tell they went broke. even if the court say metadata and art is fair use a publisher like activision will just try again in hopes they win or brake you with the fight.

10 hours ago, Anatrok said:

for my set up have have RomM running on my homelab alongside all the other *arrs containers

Same thing. Running TrueNAS for Storage, My Docker (Ubuntu) Server run all sorts of arr and Deluge. Everything over ProxMox using hardware pass-through and other virtualization wonders. TrueNAS shares all my storage using CIFS/NFS, so I can access the files within VMs, Containers  and other real computers and devices over my network.

Currently, I'm using LaunchBox on my gaming rig accessing the server using SMB. The idea of adding RomM was to properly organize and rename the ROM files, with IDs and whatnot in it. Specially my totally legit Switch RIPs, that are a pain to organize, even using Switch Library Manager.

Any tips for a newcomer on ROM and totally legit RIPs collection? I Really like the idea of using IDs in files and folders names whenever possible.

2 hours ago, mizifih said:

Same thing. Running TrueNAS for Storage, My Docker (Ubuntu) Server run all sorts of arr and Deluge. Everything over ProxMox using hardware pass-through and other virtualization wonders. TrueNAS shares all my storage using CIFS/NFS, so I can access the files within VMs, Containers  and other real computers and devices over my network.

Currently, I'm using LaunchBox on my gaming rig accessing the server using SMB. The idea of adding RomM was to properly organize and rename the ROM files, with IDs and whatnot in it. Specially my totally legit Switch RIPs, that are a pain to organize, even using Switch Library Manager.

Any tips for a newcomer on ROM and totally legit RIPs collection? I Really like the idea of using IDs in files and folders names whenever possible.

sounds like you have it more or less have it sorted. as well.  I'm not familiar with the IDs you are referring to.  do you mean switch TitleDB ids?

Gantoine on RomM team is working on calculating hash's which would eventually allow DAT integration and then rename against that.

10 minutes ago, Anatrok said:

do you mean switch TitleDB ids?

Yes. Running the software services is not a problem, my problem is making RomM automatically import/read the current folders in use by Launchbox. For some reason it's not detecting. And the container volume is pointed to the same shared folder.

Edited by mizifih
making it more clear

Just now, mizifih said:

Yes. Running the software services is not a problem, my problem is making RomM automatically import/read the current folders in use by Launchbox. For some reason it's not detecting. And the volume is pointed to the same shared folder.

understood.  I had to do it in reverse so that RomM would manage the files   Personally I  also have much better luck that way.  Even if you don't want to use symlinks you can just set your platform folder to the network share (if you are using the import wizard make sure to "use the files in their current location":
image.thumb.png.d07b79ff242fc1aef20bb557b976d1fc.png
Also make sure you have "Enable Automatic ROM Imports" enabled in options:
image.thumb.png.8cd8b5902fd5bd610e74a0844897f0ea.png

FYI, the reason there is a reason i use symlinks in LaunchBox\Games\ to point to the network share RomM platform folder (ie \\NAS\media\games\roms\gb). A recent update Launchbox automatically generates most of the platform folders and scans them, I can replace those forlders with my symlinks .  The target of the symlink is a direct network share (NOT a mounted folder) so the symlinks can be copied to any machine on my network (works on both windows and linux)  I like having the metadata, box art and manuals locally to each of my machines, but i imagine you could create symlinks for that as well.
image.png.b05ef7cbf40af28710588f78a290eb78.png 

Regarding your specific question on Switch, I only have one switch game but all seems to be working.  I have a folder for game and the .nsp files under it.  Launchbox handles this fine and auto scans on launch
image.thumb.png.7b3613df7713ab8be2efa977d5fba38b.png

A final note:  RomM currently has issues with renaming folders that have colons in the name, but it's on the list of things to fix.