LaunchBox Community Forums

[Solved] Arcade Stick responds in Windows & Big Box - but not RetroArch?

FamShoppa

I wanted to use my new arcade stick for playing LaunchBox/RetroArch games from consoles (like NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, etc.). But despite the arcade stick being detected and working in Big Box...there is no response after games are launched in RetroArch (either within the games, or in the pause menu).

I'm connecting a MayFlash F500 Elite arcade stick to my Windows 10 PC in "xinput" mode:
https://www.mayflash.com/product/1.html

In Windows "joy.cpl" the controller seems to be detected properly. In the related 'Properties' menu, the joystick and buttons seem to be responsive.

In Big Box, I am able to use the joystick to navigate the menu and press buttons to launch games or go back.

The problem is RetroArch. I cannot control to game or navigate the menu.

I went into RetroArch to set the "Port 1 Controls" option.
The 'Device Index' option sees my arcade stick and has it selected.

But the problem is that I can't set any of the button or direction options that are below.
If I try to set any "D Pad" keys, they don't accept my joystick clicks.
If I try to set any of the "A, B, X, Y, etc." keys, they don't accept my button clicks.

Can anyone help me?
I searched online and asked ChatGPT but could get no proper answer.

Edited by FamShoppa

An update to the problem above...

The MayFair unit has a switch called "LS DP RS" which controls the joystick's mode.

When originally connecting to PC, the switch was on the default "LS".

I disconnected the arcade stick from USB, switched the mode to "DP" (to represent Direction Pad)...then plugged it back in.

Now RetroArch responds to the buttons and joystick - both in the settings menu and game. I can also change the button associations.

I'm a noob so I don't even know what made it actually work. Just unplugging and replugging could have done it, for all I know! Just wanted to leave this here in case anyone else runs into this problem.

• FamShoppa changed the title to [Solved] Arcade Stick responds in Windows & Big Box - but not RetroArch?