LaunchBox Community Forums

mame in launchbox wont recognize roms

TR67

Hi new here, I am having a few issues I hope to figure out with help as I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and probably something obvious
I'm trying to finish a build someone else started converting a star wars 1up to run trilogy or basically run all the star wars arcade games I can.
The unit is all finished conversion wise and has a computer in it now running windows 10 all updated
I have the latest version of mame on there and have a few games added, they will start and run the demo screen but I can't play them, I also added launch box and tried to put them on launch box but it won't see them in the launchbox mame wizard
Now I've also attempted this on my PC with Windows 11 and same thing ,when I go in lunchbox and go-to tools then upload then mame and go into  upload wizard no matter what I do when I select location it does not see the roms, but if i go there outside of launchbox the roms are there and will run in mame by itself

If you are trying to use the "Mame Full Rom Set" import option and you only have a few roms that is the issue. The Full Set importer is only for, well... a full set of Mame roms. 

If you are importing only a few roms (and they run in Mame) then just drag and drop the rom zip files into LB and then follow the import options that pop up. 

ok so that makes more sense, do i need to manually  add the mame emulator to the list inside launchbox like i did with retroarch?

also when i drag the rom zip into launchbox the wizard opens i select import roms then the next screen asks what platform and mame is not listed so how do i know what platform? these are arcade games not console games

Yes, manually add the emulator. The wizard that pops up will have options to do this. YOu can just manually type the name of the platform. You are not stuck to what is in the dropdown. I would recommend not calling your platform Mame. I would call it Arcade. Tends to be a cleaner install especially when custom themes tend to use the name "Arcade" for platform images.