LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Black Screen

RavenDarhk

Hello,

I am having an issue with BigBox and have tried fixing it myself for a couple of weeks now. The issue is that when I start BigBox, it plays one of a few startup videos that I have in Launchox\Videos\Startup, they video plays through fine but when it is over the screen just goes black and won't switch over to BigBox. While I can hit alt+tab and close out the black void that the video played in, then I am able to tab over to BigBox (which I can see when I hit alt+tab+ but it won't let me open the BigBox window until I close the BlackBox). When I x out of BlackBox I get an error which I have attached here.

I am currently running LaunchBox 13.7-Beta 6, this problem however started on 13.6, before switching over to the beta. I have tried switching VLC to Windows Media Player which did nothing to help. I am using the Eclipse theme, and it runs fine once I get past BlackBox and make it into BigBox. I am running my LaunchBox on an external HDD on Windows 11 Pro.

This issue does not break BigBox, as once I am past it everything runs fine, it is just an annoyance, so any help resolving this will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

R.D.

BBeRR.png

Eclipse theme has a lot going on in it regarding plugin use and out of the box solutions. I'd first revert to default theme and see if you still encounter the issue or not. Where the error stack trace is pointing is that something isn't able to load correctly on startup. If you don't already I'd also enable debug logging via LaunchBox's Option menu. Then see if there is anything in that log that would help explain what is going on.

COMPLETELY unrelated, but how did you get your error form to look like that?

Thanks for the quick response! I have also tried swapping themes and deleting all custom themes and just using the default but to no avail and I realized I went with one of the more intense themes right off the bat. I will gladly turn on logs and try it again though, as I really want to get to the bottom of this without having to do a clean install because this is one of the most intense pieces of software I have ever set up and I would prefer to not have to set it up again, I love LaunchBox though, it is my favorite app to use for gaming and impresses friends and family.

I know it is an issue with the startup video, when it ends BigBox starts it just won't close out of the video entirely and make the switch over to BB. It could be a plugin causing the issue as well but I am not running many as I noticed most were out of date or have been integrated into LaunchBox.

As for the look, I use Windows blinds and Deskscapes from Stardock. Windows 8 got me to switch over to them for their start menu and have been using them ever since...I loathed Windows 8, it eventually made me leave the PC world for 7 years. I have about 50 different themes and videos to run as desktop wallpapers so every time I reboot it is a new experience.

Will go do what you suggested though, and share the results once it is done.

R.D.

Update*

I totally removed all custom theme options out of BB and I still had the same issue. So, I deleted Startup out of LaunchBox\Videos and the problem was gone. For me, no startup video is better than hitting reset. The videos were just another way to show BB off, the kids enjoyed them, personally, I don't feel they are necessary when it is just me playing. I would still like to know what was going wrong and where it went wrong. When I have tech issues, I prefer getting to the root of the problem. Sometimes, we just must take the victory even if it is bittersweet.

R.D.