LaunchBox Community Forums

Plugin idea : A Light and quick version of the Desktop launchbox ?

I was thinking of a plugin, but that's maybe too much to handle for me, so i make this post.
I love launchbox and bigbox, but for me, the speed is the main issue, especially on launchbox with big collection.

I'm wondering if that would be a good idea to make a Light Version of the ListBox mode of Launchbox.
Like using a simple winform instead of fancy theme, the platform category tree on the right, the list of game in the middle, and on the right the game detail. And on right click on the game, just the Play, Play with and play version.

It's an idea that's on the back on my head from quite some time, but the balance between the amount of work needed and the inconvenience of launchbox slow speed make me wonder if that's worth the trouble.

Since i'm curious, i made a quick poc. Just loading all the games in a list, allow filtering and launch the game on double click.
It's not like a pre version of something, it's just few lines of code put together, but if you have big collection, that the sort of speed i would expect from browsing with a ListBox, and right now, with launchbox, i'm far from that.

This is my poc, loading a 40K game library, just to show how smooth the listing, scrolling, filtering is.
(Edit : Updated to the last version)

the poc plugin is liked to this post if you want to try.

Release.zip

So, is it a totally messed up and weird idea ?

Edit : To clarify, the idea is not to make a standalone tuned-down version of launchbox, but something that work as a plugin and just use data from launchbox api. When you launch a game, it launch it though launchbox.
The thing i have in mind is to have a key combination that toogle the Light-Version and hide the original launchbox window and vice versa.

Edited by Nixx
  • Like 1

Starting to slowly move from a Poc to an Alpha.

image.thumb.png.14d9a295fd1adbb9579c8aefb13de3a6.png

- Icons added to the tree on the right side.
- On form resize, the content should resize too.
- Hide Launchbox on start (i guess this should be added as an option, but i'm not here yet), Button to show Launchbox.
- Right click on a game show a context menu Play, Play With and Play Version.
- If you modify column size or hide them, the config will be saved on close and restored on launch.

Todo

Config windows
The boring part where i have to fill all the missing column

Show game info on the right part of the screen when selection change (right now, i only show the clear logo)

QuickBox.zip

Edited by Nixx