LaunchBox Community Forums

Hiding games and other day 1 stuff!

craig9oo

So, I bought launchbox in today's sale and it looks like a great bit of kit

There are, however, some quirks I can't get my head round!

1: My OCD means I can't have games showing absent art. I've tried to keep it simple...I've downloaded just bezels and 3d box art for a Mame rom set...obviously, there's some missing art. So I go to the 'hide game' menu thinking I can just tick a box to hide any game missing 3d box art, but that option isn't there. The 'hide' options seem to bear no relation to what I downloaded...is 3D box art.

Do I really have to go to each game and physically hide them one by one or have I fundamentally misunderstood the hide feature?!?

2: I have folders full of my own art. And it can be imported, but the files have to be zipped or 7 zipped which is an extra step I'm not a fan of. Why is that?

3: Can I start LB in big box mode? Is there a way to switch on the fly between the two modes?

4: Big Box was allowing me to use a joystick to navigate earlier, but isn't now? (wireless Xbox 360 controller)

5: The default LB won't let me use my joystick to navigate menus at all?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that should get me started. Any help much appreciated...

17 minutes ago, craig9oo said:

So, I bought launchbox in today's sale and it looks like a great bit of kit

There are, however, some quirks I can't get my head round!

1: My OCD means I can't have games showing absent art. I've tried to keep it simple...I've downloaded just bezels and 3d box art for a Mame rom set...obviously, there's some missing art. So I go to the 'hide game' menu thinking I can just tick a box to hide any game missing 3d box art, but that option isn't there. The 'hide' options seem to bear no relation to what I downloaded...is 3D box art.

Do I really have to go to each game and physically hide them one by one or have I fundamentally misunderstood the hide feature?!?

The "Hide Games Missing" menu only has those options currently listed. I am sure at some future point that will get more media. In the meantime why don't you use the "Image Priorities" options in >Tools >Options >Image Priorities to set fall-back options when games are missing images for media types. Given how many platforms with games that could be missing certain media this is a great option to not have to hide a game. 

2: I have folders full of my own art. And it can be imported, but the files have to be zipped or 7 zipped which is an extra step I'm not a fan of. Why is that?

Cannot answer this from a dev perspective, but having this as an option is far better than not so for the time being one extra step I would say is better than what we used to have. Prior to this we had to add manually and ensure the image file was named properly. This feature thankfully will rename the images. 

3: Can I start LB in big box mode? Is there a way to switch on the fly between the two modes?

No, the 2 are separate modes. You can switch from either easily simply by using the menu. In LB under >Menu is the BB logo to click on. In BB you can back out to the options page and select "Switch to Desktop Mode".

4: Big Box was allowing me to use a joystick to navigate earlier, but isn't now? (wireless Xbox 360 controller)

Might want to check you controller settings in BB. Make sure you have it turned on and controller selected. 

5: The default LB won't let me use my joystick to navigate menus at all?

LB is not really the game controller/arcade stick version of the front end. A controller can be used in a way. However, since most of it commands are driven like other Windows programs a keyboard/mouse is its main tools. 

9 minutes ago, craig9oo said:

Additionally, how cool that I can add other emulators such as retroarch

Why can't I import my COMPLETE Retroarch...ROMs, media, playlists...all in one hit?

Likely because there is nothing that defines a complete Retroarch. There is nothing that classifies a complete rom list or any of the other media items you mentioned. Retroarch is not actually an emulator. It is in essence a frontend, not to dissimilar from LB, in that its main goal is to allow you to run multiple emulators (the cores) in one frontend and offer some organization. 

3 minutes ago, craig9oo said:

If I have you right, fall back means...I can download 3d box, front box, gameplay screenshot. Prioritise them and if 3d is missing, it'll show front. If front is missing it'll show a screenshot?

That would do nicely!

Correct. You can also use the move option to move one fallback higher than the other. So you can classify the order of importance. 

2 minutes ago, craig9oo said:

And indeed it works..ace. thanks...

Is LB portable? IE all in one folder and sub folders...

I can see my hard drive filling up quickly, so may have to move this lock, stock...

Yes, one caveat would be the emulators. If you place them all within the LB folder structure it makes is easier. However, some emulators (such as Dolphin) you will need to do a step to make sure it is portable. You can Google "Make Dolphin Emulator Portable" and its a simple process.