LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME - import just fruit/card/quiz games as separate platform to arcade games?

EvoluZion3

My "Arcade" platform is a MAME full set but I chose only to have arcade games. I'd like to have a separate Platform called "Arcade - Other" or whatever which has just the slot games, card games, etc. and no arcade games.

I suspect the best/easiest way to do this is via a Playlist or two, but I wondered if I could do this via Platforms instead. I guess I could possibly run another Import > MAME Full Set, call it "Arcade - Other", point it to the same ROM folder as the arcade games, run a full import (including all game types), then find a way to selectively remove the arcade games from the "Platforms/Arcade - Other.xml", possibly by searching for the <Genre> tags?

What I've done before is import the full MAME set including e everything and then use Genres. Basically, use the auto create playlist's function and then go to Genres. It automatically separates games into computers, consoles, slots etc. From there you can just select all (alt a), right click and use bulk edit to change the platform for all the games under that genre. Thats how I know have an entire full MAME set but nicely separated into different platforms.

On a side note, nobody really talks about it, but MAME has a TON of goodies in it that are not arcade. Most people only care about arcade but some things in MAME are fascinating and really fun to explore and play with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Retro_Rage said:

What I've done before is import the full MAME set including e everything and then use Genres. Basically, use the auto create playlist's function and then go to Genres. It automatically separates games into computers, consoles, slots etc. From there you can just select all (alt a), right click and use bulk edit to change the platform for all the games under that genre. Thats how I know have an entire full MAME set but nicely separated into different platforms.

Brilliant, thanks Retro_Rage that sounds like a plan. I'll wait for 0.262 to come out and experiment with it then :)