LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem launching MAME roms from Bigbox

dacstyle

Hello friends,

I am new to the forum, I am from Argentina.
I want to see if someone can help me with a strange problem. It happens that when trying to launch a game in MAME from BigBox, the game seems to start loading, but only a black screen appears and then it returns to the BigBox menu.

If I run MAME and open exactly the same game, it works perfectly. It doesn't happen with all games, but it does with quite a few.

Does anyone know what might be happening and how I can solve it?

I am having the same problem with my launchbox software. Although it seems to only be happening to games that require chd files. I am wondering if those need to be downloaded separately and placed in different files or something else. Some games that transition straight to a black screen can include Simpsons Bowling, NFL Blitz, and Golden Tee. If anyone can help on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

7 hours ago, dacstyle said:

Hello friends,

I am new to the forum, I am from Argentina.
I want to see if someone can help me with a strange problem. It happens that when trying to launch a game in MAME from BigBox, the game seems to start loading, but only a black screen appears and then it returns to the BigBox menu.

If I run MAME and open exactly the same game, it works perfectly. It doesn't happen with all games, but it does with quite a few.

Does anyone know what might be happening and how I can solve it?

Are you using Mame standalone or Mame in RA?

3 minutes ago, BigGman46 said:

I am having the same problem with my launchbox software. Although it seems to only be happening to games that require chd files. I am wondering if those need to be downloaded separately and placed in different files or something else. Some games that transition straight to a black screen can include Simpsons Bowling, NFL Blitz, and Golden Tee. If anyone can help on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Yes, CHD need to be downloaded separately. They do not come in the full Mame rom set. 

The default location is to place the CHD file inside of a folder that is named exaclty as the rom (the zipped rom) for the game and then that folder is place inside your roms folder. 

Example: NFL Blitz 2K

Let's say your Mame rom are get in. \Launchbox\Games\Mame

The file and structure for the CHD would look like: \Launchbox\Games\Mame\blitz2k\blitz2k.chd

In my case it is not related to CHD files. If I understand correctly, if that were the problem, they also wouldn't run by opening them from MAME.

I installed LAUNCHBOX and then imported a ROM pack, so I also installed MAME from Launchbox.

There are games that don't run from Launchbox, but if I open MAME and then the game, it runs without issues. I go back to Big Box, run the game, and after the black screen, I return to the menu.

6 hours ago, dacstyle said:

In my case it is not related to CHD files. If I understand correctly, if that were the problem, they also wouldn't run by opening them from MAME.

I installed LAUNCHBOX and then imported a ROM pack, so I also installed MAME from Launchbox.

There are games that don't run from Launchbox, but if I open MAME and then the game, it runs without issues. I go back to Big Box, run the game, and after the black screen, I return to the menu.

You say you imported a ROM pack. What method did you use to import and was it  a full Mame Rom set or a ROM pack that was created by someone with select roms?

Can you give an example of a game that does this. Also Share a couple pics related. 

1. In LB right click and edit that game. Share a pic of the Metadata tab, Launching tab, and Emulation tab.