LaunchBox Community Forums

Light gun game crosshairs to stop auto center in MAME & Teknoparrot

stevaside

I'm using an Xbox One controller, analog sticks for light gun games, but when I let go of the stick instead of the crosshair staying where it is it automatically moves back to the center of the screen

No matter what advice I've read on this, I can never stop this from happening so figure I might as well ask on here 

Hi @stevaside that can be normal behavior for using a controller joystick in place of a mouse or light gun (which just mimics a mouse)

I think you can make these adjustments in MAME. Fired up T2 and checked it's options, likely you need to have your controller work like the keyboard inputs instead. Notice how those are in the INC and DEC lines (short for increment and decrement, ie like a +/- kinda movement) Try using your keyboard arrow keys and notice how they move to the direction you press but don't bounce back, that sounds like the behavior you want. So I would try mapping your analog stick to those lines

image.thumb.png.f2b5c2362c5178782eae0242df8cad16.png

And a quick test says this is the way to do it. Take note that the Y-axis is inverted with INC being down and DEC being up

image.thumb.png.7d3d7097427004395aae8084dd038cbb.png

they might have slightly different names in other MAME games but they should have the INC/DEC abbreviation at the end. Like Time Crisis was another one I checked

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do that in TP. I'd have to get re-familiar with it be any help

On 1/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, skizzosjt said:

Hi @stevaside that can be normal behavior for using a controller joystick in place of a mouse or light gun (which just mimics a mouse)

I think you can make these adjustments in MAME. Fired up T2 and checked it's options, likely you need to have your controller work like the keyboard inputs instead. Notice how those are in the INC and DEC lines (short for increment and decrement, ie like a +/- kinda movement) Try using your keyboard arrow keys and notice how they move to the direction you press but don't bounce back, that sounds like the behavior you want. So I would try mapping your analog stick to those lines

image.thumb.png.f2b5c2362c5178782eae0242df8cad16.png

And a quick test says this is the way to do it. Take note that the Y-axis is inverted with INC being down and DEC being up

image.thumb.png.7d3d7097427004395aae8084dd038cbb.png

they might have slightly different names in other MAME games but they should have the INC/DEC abbreviation at the end. Like Time Crisis was another one I checked

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do that in TP. I'd have to get re-familiar with it be any help

Thanks, I followed those settings & was so frustrated that it was still auto centering at first, but I discovered it I set the analog Y & X device settings to "none" it actually worked

Apparently I have to go into every individual light gun game & adjust everything which is pretty tedious, but glad I've finally made progress. 

One thing still tricky to me is the difference between the "analog sensitivity" & "increment speed" / "decrement speed" controls & how to tweak these both to have the smoothest experience. Just kind of playing around with both for now, but wish I had a detailed explanantion or guide for those

Edited by stevaside

3 hours ago, stevaside said:

Apparently I have to go into every individual light gun game & adjust everything which is pretty tedious, but glad I've finally made progress. 

you don't have to do it by game. you could instead go into configure options > general inputs > player X controls and change the setting there on a global scale.