LaunchBox Community Forums

Switch to playlist isn't user friendly

Light Sock

Hi, maybe I don't know how to do this or I guess there could be improvement in the UI of BigBox.

Let's take this for example:

image.png.0e964d37ea53d4709d3d0b4183fcdd91.png

When in Bigbox in the NES platform, I would have expect to press a key to navigate through the playlists of that system. For example the left/right key to navigate previous/next playlists for that specific system.

Is there a way to do this or I must go all the way back and go into Playlists, then scroll through all the playlists to finally find the one I want?

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Light Sock said:

Hi, maybe I don't know how to do this or I guess there could be improvement in the UI of BigBox.

Let's take this for example:

image.png.0e964d37ea53d4709d3d0b4183fcdd91.png

When in Bigbox in the NES platform, I would have expect to press a key to navigate through the playlists of that system. For example the left/right key to navigate previous/next playlists for that specific system.

Is there a way to do this or I must go all the way back and go into Playlists, then scroll through all the playlists to finally find the one I want?

Thank you.

So, it sounds like you are referring to navigating through your Platform Categories section? Are you missing a playlist that you want to have appear there? I could be wrong here, so let me know.

Find the missing playlist and Edit it. Go into the Parents tab, and checkmark the locations you want that playlist to appear within your Platform Categories section.

One thing to note are that playlists are not platform specific, they can contain games from many platforms depending on the rules that you set up for it.

3 minutes ago, faeran said:

So, it sounds like you are referring to navigating through your Platform Categories section? Are you missing a playlist that you want to have appear there? I could be wrong here, so let me know.

Find the missing playlist and Edit it. Go into the Parents tab, and checkmark the locations you want that playlist to appear within your Platform Categories section.

One thing to note are that playlists are not platform specific, they can contain games from many platforms depending on the rules that you set up for it.

Yes I've found  the option to show a playlist in the platforms

image.png.2feddf97fb839ea62187b27c9f322607.png

But this is making my platform list way too long. I would want, from the selected platform, to switch to the playlists that are only for that particular platform without going all the way back in the menu.

16 minutes ago, Light Sock said:

Yes I've found  the option to show a playlist in the platforms

image.png.2feddf97fb839ea62187b27c9f322607.png

But this is making my platform list way too long. I would want, from the selected platform, to switch to the playlists that are only for that particular platform without going all the way back in the menu.

Cool, yeah that's an option, but actually not the one I mentioned. We have both a Platforms section and a Platform Categories section. The Platform Categories section is a place that gives you free reign on how you want to organize your platforms and playlists, by allowing you to place items anywhere you choose, nest items inside of other items, etc, to give you the organization that you may want.

So, in my example, you could place the playlists you want to see inside of your platforms, then in Big Box when you navigate through your Platform Categories section, you enter into a Platform, then first get presented with all the playlists you wanted to see there, then enter into one of the playlists to see the games.

Sounds like you were hoping for the reverse, which is first enter into a platform, then have some kind of navigational item to select your playlist. They both accomplish the same thing, but one way is kind of frontloaded while the other is backloaded.

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing an alternative. I could do like Platform Category > Platform > All Games/Favorites/Top 100. I think it's a lot of inputs for a user to get through one game. I would have prefer to be presented with the best games "Top 100", then you would have a visual cue on screen to switch left right to filter the games. I work in UI design and that's something I've spotted on in minutes while using Big Box today. I only used it on my cab before and since I only have the best games I never thought about this feature before.

So for my PC build, I ended up using the killer features of LaunchBox and I was able to sort the best games by ratings and # of star ratings. Mixed with logic and what I know, I was able to delete 80% of the games which are mostly crap to me.

Now it's super easy Platform Category > Platform > Games (all killer no filler)

11 hours ago, Light Sock said:

Thanks for bringing an alternative. I could do like Platform Category > Platform > All Games/Favorites/Top 100. I think it's a lot of inputs for a user to get through one game. I would have prefer to be presented with the best games "Top 100", then you would have a visual cue on screen to switch left right to filter the games. I work in UI design and that's something I've spotted on in minutes while using Big Box today. I only used it on my cab before and since I only have the best games I never thought about this feature before.

So for my PC build, I ended up using the killer features of LaunchBox and I was able to sort the best games by ratings and # of star ratings. Mixed with logic and what I know, I was able to delete 80% of the games which are mostly crap to me.

Now it's super easy Platform Category > Platform > Games (all killer no filler)

Glad you got something you enjoy.

Platform Categories is flexible enough that you could reorganize it in many ways, depending on preference. There's some defaults that get set up initially, but you could, for example, move a Top 100 playlist into the root, so it's just:

Top 100 of Platform > Games

Or, you could remove the Category, so you just navigate:

Platform > Top 100 > Games

Or, you could remove the platform entirely, something like:

Category > Top 100 of Platform > Games

The whole hierarchy layout is customizable, but the entire layout would come before the games list. Once you are in the games list, we have an alpha-numeric index where you can jump to a specific letter, an advanced filter window, and a search option.