LaunchBox Community Forums

Games Open on Wrong Monitor

mgiampa

I'm on night 3 of trying to solve this. I have launchbox on my laptop, hooked up to a TV screen. Running MAME. Everything has been running fine when I duplicated displays. I now want to extend displays so I can use the other screen.

I set the TV to my primary screen in my Windows Display Settings. I set the Primary Display to Display2 within BigBox. When I open BigBox, it opens on the TV. When I open a game (have tried a few), it opens on the Laptop monitor...

I've tried toggling on and off Marquee screen.

I've tried changing the .ini file. I ran cmd and discovered my monitors were \\.\display1 and 4. I changed "screen", "screen0", etc. to \\.\display4. I tried changing numscreens to 2. I've restarted the computer. No matter what I've done it always opens the game on the laptop. I've read 2 threads on this forum, reddit, others, and have tried everything suggested. Any other ideas? 

You 'should' only need to set "screen" to \\.\DISPLAY4 (note ALLCAPS!).  vs. having to also set "screen0", "screen1" etc.  i.e. you can leave those set to "auto".

Double check that 'writeconfig' (in mame.ini) is set to 0 (zero).  If it was set to 1, you will have ini files for each game you've played.  And those ini files will most likely have the 'old' "auto" setting.  (Remove as necessary)

Note: if you start stand-alone MAME, the UI will still show on the primary screen, but the games will launch on the other monitor.

8 hours ago, mgiampa said:

I ran cmd and discovered my monitors were \\.\display1 and 4

I'll take your word for it but having a \\.\DISPLAY1 and a \\.\DISPLAY4 sounds odd.  (vs \\.\DISPLAY1 and \\.\DISPLAY2).

Also note that what Windows sees as 1 and 2 (or 4) may be different than what MAME sees.  

OMG.... CAPS?!?!?

I thought I was being deliberate with everything. When I changed to all caps (DISPLAY4) it worked. I had to go back and turn Marquee screen to None in BigBox, and numscreens to 0 in mame.ini, but once I did those things it worked as desired.

Thank you!

Okay, now come find me streaming on twitch tonight....

• Game On 1