LaunchBox Community Forums

Games locking up in RetroArch?

Reaper978

Locking up only seems to happen with RetroArch. Thankfully, this only happens fairly rarely, but it’s still kind of annoying. Are there any tweaks that can be used to address this problem?

MAME works great, never had it lock up.

Let me elaborate:

When it freezes, the controls don't do anything.  The only thing that works is escape to quit the game.  No windows message pops up saying the program has stopped responding.  It seems to only happen with Sega Saturn and Playstation.  I am using a Geforce GTX 670 graphics card.  I realize the card is very old so maybe that has something to do with it.  Perhaps I should just use DuckStation.  I don't know what options there are are for Sega Saturn emulators.

16 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The video card shouldn't be the issue, if it runs it runs.
You could try Duckstation for PS1,  give Mednafen a try for PS1 and Saturn.

Do you mean Mednafen_psx_libretro and Mednafen_saturn_libretro found in Manage Emulators =>RetroArch->Associated Platforms?  I'm already using those.  I could try Duckstation for awhile and see if any problems crop up.  I found the Kronos emulator for the Sega Saturn but know nothing about it.

10 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yup, Mednafen is a command line driven emulator out of the box, all the configuration for it is done through the cfg files. It has no GUI but you can get 3rd party GUIs for it if you prefer.

OK, could you please tell me how I can set it up so that it works with LaunchBox/BigBox?

I managed to get it up and running with Mednaffe (I'm not skilled enough to run from the command line) and in LaunchBox\BigBox but i was seriously overwhelmed by the size and technical terminology in the Mednafen documentation.  I remember the documentation mentioned something (I think) about how you shouldn't use M3U playlists for multiple discs. What do you think about that?  I noticed after starting a game and hitting F1 for a help prompt you could hit keys to switch discs and open the disc tray and things like that.

So why do you recommend Mednafen?  It does seem really good and hopefully it will fix my locking-up issue.

17 hours ago, Reaper978 said:

So why do you recommend Mednafen?

Because it has the best PS1 and Saturn emulation outside of the RA cores which are based off the Mednafen code and Duckstation. I don't necessarily recommend it over the Retroarch cores but it's a very good option if RA is giving you problems.

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Because it has the best PS1 and Saturn emulation outside of the RA cores which are based off the Mednafen code and Duckstation. I don't necessarily recommend it over the Retroarch cores but it's a very good option if RA is giving you problems.

Ok thanks for the advice 👍