LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME CHD's

Elmo80

Posted (edited)

Hi, i have limited understanding of how all things MAME work but have found Launchbox to be pretty idiot proof with importing a MAME full romset and getting it up and running successfully through the wizard. It's really impressive. 

I'm hoping someone can help me understand a couple things in relation to setting up Mame games that require CHD files:

1. Do i have to download the full Mame CHD set or is there a way or a source for me to simply pick and choose the ones i want to play? I don't really want to download the whole Mame CHD set which seems like it is one zip file via torrent given it's a significant size; and  

2. Where do you save the CHD files? say i have all the *.zip Mame game files in lauchbox\games\Mame 0.265 folder, do i save the CHD file in that folder or do i need to insert within the specific *.zip game file.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Jportrx3
typo

• Elmo80 changed the title to MAME CHD's

1, Downloading the entire MAME CHD set is a waste of time and space as only a few are needed and the majority are likely unworking anyways,

2. Save the CHDs you need in the same rom folder as your other MAME roms. Best practice is to place each in a folder named the same as the rom name.

For example: 

roms -> area51.zip

roms -> area51 folder

roms -> area51 folder -> area51.chd

Technically you can put your CHDs anywhere as long as the folder is in the rompath set in your mame.ini. You just need to place them in folders named like the rom name.