LaunchBox Community Forums

3.13 update failed

Posted (edited)

I’ve recently been spending hours setting up several consoles and Mame on Launchbox.

Apart from the bezels being mostly unsuccessful on rom imports probably because of mismatch rom names, everything has been really great, so on that basis I bought the full licence to take advantage of the extra Launchbox features and BigBox.

The following day after purchasing the license, I opened up Launchbox and an automatic update for 13.13 started. I received an error message indicating Launchbox could not close all applications and the update failed. I could no longer open launch box after that, it would crash every time i tried to open. I’m using a new install of Windows 11 with all updates complete with decent hardware (I think). Could I have done something incorrect?

I tried copying in the last saved backup but unfortunately that didn’t fix this issue. I had no alternative to uninstall Launchbox and start from scratch again.

This sucked because of all the hours I put in setting things up. Given my limited knowledge I figured everything would be lost. The backup would hopefully help a new install.

I appreciate things can get a bit temperamental with software and this program is continually improving/expanding. However, is this a common issue with Launchbox automatic updates? At $115, it does cost allot for an Aussie and the day one experience of premium was a rough one for me and suspect it’s a rare occurrence. Perhaps I’m too hopeful updates should always be seamless?

But………….. when I uninstalled Launchbox most of the system folders remained and after installing a fresh Launchbox 3.13 all my setup was still in place and works great! Big relief to say the least! Well done if that’s a deliberate way of setting up the uninstall/install application. 

Edited by Jportrx3
heading change

Further to the above. I opened up LaunchBox today and it automatically started downloading rom's i don't own for NES. In addition, wiped all images from the and started downloading everything again which was not prompted. I'm having a tough time, day 2 with premium. 

Posted (edited)

Day 3 with premium and things are getting worse.

The import wizard no longer provides the option to select whether or not the file is either copied or left in the destination folder, e.g. i've used tools/import rom file and drop and drag into the console category and the wizard skips the option that was once there.

The only option for me to import bulk roms is to  a) check the automatic imports box which automatically wants to import all these random roms i don't want and make a huge mess of my setup (as per the first post) or b) dump the roms in the launch game folder and try and remember the hundred i've saved amongst all the other roms which is simply rediculous.

When you get to the import wizard download meta data box, if you click back, it does bring up the option to copy or move file but when you do click on move file it doesn't. It leaves the file in the destination. Surley this is a glitch? 

How do i now install bulk roms as per was allowable in the wizard prior to the update?

This is really dissapointing and i don't seem to be getting much helpfrom LaunchBox. If i paid $15 or $20aud for life membership for something glitchy then fair enough but $115aud for what is honestly a bit of a car crash at the momment is a worry.  I hope for a fast improve. 

Edited by Jportrx3
edit detail

• Elmo80 changed the title to 3.13 update failed (premium was not a good idea)

None of what you're reporting on has anything to do with premium and would be a potential issue in the free version as well. If you feel like you aren't getting your moneys reach out to support@unbrokensoftware.com and ask for a refund. If you actually want to take the time to learn the application and how to progress through the issues you are having, then simply explain what you are attempting to do, how you tried to do it, what you are expecting to happen, and then what actually happened and some one can use that information to assist you and try to get you on track. In the meantime I'd also like to point you to our YouTube channel where we have a pretty exhaustive list of tutorials that may assist you in your endeavors as well.

Mate. Has everything to do with premium. The software is not working as it should, which is the basis for paying for a premium membership. In fact the premium membership caters for specific items that are not working. Hence why i'm here in a trouble shooting section of a forum? 

Day 5 of premium. I advised of the bug with importing Rom's, i.e. choosing to move or relocate is not working. I was told it would be fixed in the next update and in V13.14 it's not. 

• Elmo80 changed the title to 3.13 update failed