LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Model 2 via Launchbox creates weird behavior even after exited

This is a weird one, so I'd appreciate any insight!

I installed the Sega Model 2 emulator per the LB's instructions. My native resolution is 3840x2160, but I set the resolution in the emulator's config file to run at 1080p for performance. If I manually run the emulator with any game, and don't use Launchbox, it works perfectly at 1080p fullscreen. However, if I run it via LB, the game kicks into fullscreen and then falls back to the desktop with a 1080p box that is all black, but has the game audio. If I try to run it manually again it, it won't work and exhibits the same behavior as if I had started it via LB!

This has me totally confused. It's as if LB changed my environment. What's even weirder is that if I have a browser open and launch a game via LB, it switches to fullcsreen for a few secs and then back to the desktop, but now the browser is resized to 1080p along with the black game screen. Weird stuff. I have to reboot to fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

4 hours ago, BigSnoots said:

This is a weird one, so I'd appreciate any insight!

I installed the Sega Model 2 emulator per the LB's instructions. My native resolution is 3840x2160, but I set the resolution in the emulator's config file to run at 1080p for performance. If I manually run the emulator with any game, and don't use Launchbox, it works perfectly at 1080p fullscreen. However, if I run it via LB, the game kicks into fullscreen and then falls back to the desktop with a 1080p box that is all black, but has the game audio. If I try to run it manually again it, it won't work and exhibits the same behavior as if I had started it via LB!

This has me totally confused. It's as if LB changed my environment. What's even weirder is that if I have a browser open and launch a game via LB, it switches to fullcsreen for a few secs and then back to the desktop, but now the browser is resized to 1080p along with the black game screen. Weird stuff. I have to reboot to fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

When you see the black screen try to do alt-enter twice and see if the game comes back in focus, I have similar problems when I use LB/BB pause for model 2 games.

There is a window maximization conflict between the frontend and the emulator

I'm using a Dell XPS 9560 laptop so just a single screen running on an Nvidia gtx 1050.

What's really weird is that even if I close Launchbox and the emulator after recreating the problem it still does not work when I run the emulator from the command line. So it seems that whatever Launchbox does to launch an emulator/game has temporarily messed things up on my desktop. Of course if I reboot, then everything is fine. Confusing to say the least.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:46 AM, BigSnoots said:

I'm using a Dell XPS 9560 laptop so just a single screen running on an Nvidia gtx 1050.

What's really weird is that even if I close Launchbox and the emulator after recreating the problem it still does not work when I run the emulator from the command line. So it seems that whatever Launchbox does to launch an emulator/game has temporarily messed things up on my desktop. Of course if I reboot, then everything is fine. Confusing to say the least.

This happened to me but with Retroarch alone when BigBox would crash out of nowhere with no Report. Couldn't even run Duckstation or PCSX for example after that stalling until Reboot. Seems fixed now for me with the recent update but hopefully this gets resolved, I remember posting about my issue and it never got answered so hopefully you get some info! Best of luck man!!

2 minutes ago, nosr114 said:

This happened to me but with Retroarch alone when BigBox would crash out of nowhere with no Report. Couldn't even run Duckstation or PCSX for example after that stalling until Reboot. Seems fixed now for me with the recent update but hopefully this gets resolved, I remember posting about my issue and it never got answered so hopefully you get some info! Best of luck man!!

I figured it was a longshot asking, but I'll keep trying different things and experimenting. If I find a solution, I'll update this post for anyone else looking 🙂 Launchbox has been working really well so I'm gonna stick it out and tweak my setup till it's perfect!

Does your Sound go out of whack or no? Mine used to until full reboot. It had to be something pc related for me at the time cuz i loaded an entire copy of my build on a Potato Laptop and no issues.

15 hours ago, nosr114 said:

Does your Sound go out of whack or no? Mine used to until full reboot. It had to be something pc related for me at the time cuz i loaded an entire copy of my build on a Potato Laptop and no issues.

No, the audio keeps playing and the video goes black.