LaunchBox Community Forums

no option for background music in Launchbox -- and my trick for getting around it

karole3b

It really bummed me out when I discovered there is an option for background music in big box but not in Launchbox. I want to hear cool tunes while browsing my collection! Hopefully this becomes a feature in a future update of LB... but until then, I have a way to create my own workaround solution

HOW TO PUT MENU MUSIC IN LAUNCHBOX

step 1 -- create a new folder in your Launchbox folder  (I named mine "Kickass Tunes" because I am an immature child)

step 2 -- fill this folder with a portable install of foobar 

step 3 -- in Launchbox:  tools > options > startup applications, add your newly created foobar exe file and put /play under command line parameters

image.thumb.jpeg.e4d3cb2e8d3667667e77d6ffd2dfa8ad.jpeg

step 4 -- install this plugin 

step 5 -- use the plugin to bulk edit every game in your library, as follows:

additional apps > add foobar > edit application > put /pause under command line parameters 

(check yes for "automatically run before..." and "automatically run after")

image.thumb.jpeg.2069c221d0557b2194fb7f274fafaff9.jpeg

step 6 -- create the dankest playlist you can think of and pop it into your portable foobar install. If done correctly, the playlist should load up every time you open foobar.

step 7 -- I HIGHLY reccomend going into foobar and enabling 500 ms fades so the transition in and out of games isn't too abrupt

image.thumb.jpeg.816f60984fe9fbf38479c8dc9212963a.jpeg

NOTES:

• you don't have to use a portable version of foobar placed in the Launchbox folder, but I like to do it this way so that everything is self-contained.
  • I've thought about running a second instance of foobar to play ambient arcade sounds on top of the music... just to create that authentic arcade sound space. In theory it should work using the same steps above

LIMITATIONS
(maybe someone smarter than me can find a solution)

1. Foobar starts playing a couple seconds before Launchbox finishes booting up (doesn't bother me but it would nice if they were synced better)

1. foobar keeps playing after quitting Launchbox (again, doesn't bother me but not as clean as it could be)

2. The /pause command isn't triggered if you launch your game using right click to select from multiple versions

image.thumb.jpeg.96cf651e3c291a3db0e3c943b06f26c1.jpeg

Edited by karole3b
  • Unusual Gem 1

On 6/25/2024 at 6:38 PM, karole3b said:

It really bummed me out when I discovered there is an option for background music in big box but not in Launchbox.

I really liked the solution you came up with and it inspired me to take it a step further and also address the limitations.  This also eliminates the need for an 'outside' music player as it uses LaunchBox's built in capabilities. ;) 

I have a related issue maybe @JoeViking245 or someone else can provide a solution.  When using Bigbox while running background music, is there a way to have the background music shuffle to a new song, when exiting a game, instead of having Bigbox just start the music from where the song was cutoff when starting a game?  Thanks!

14 minutes ago, tkssitch said:

I have a related issue maybe @JoeViking245 or someone else can provide a solution.  When using Bigbox while running background music, is there a way to have the background music shuffle to a new song, when exiting a game, instead of having Bigbox just start the music from where the song was cutoff when starting a game?  Thanks!

To be honest, I've never used the background music feature in BigBox.  Hopefully someone else can chime in.

• Like 1