LaunchBox Community Forums

Game works in MAME but doesn’t launch in BigBox

Posted (edited)

This is one I haven’t encountered before. My game launches when opened directly in MAME but when I select it through BigBox it fails. I’ll see the MAME “Loading “ and the percentage climb very briefly then it just goes back to my BigBox list. All other games on that emulator launch fine through BigBox. Any idea what that could be?

Edited by Justanaccountimade

37 minutes ago, Justanaccountimade said:

gauntdl  Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Do you have the CHD file for it?  It should get located in a subfolder where your ROMs are located called /gauntdl/gauntdl.chd

Foe example:
D:\ROMs\MAME\gauntdl.zip     (the original ROM you're launching)
D:\ROMs\MAME\gauntdl\gauntdl.chd

(CHDs are in a different romset than MAME's regular Arcade romset.)

2 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Do you have the CHD file for it?  It should get located in a subfolder where your ROMs are located called /gauntdl/gauntdl.chd

Foe example:
D:\ROMs\MAME\gauntdl.zip     (the original ROM you're launching)
D:\ROMs\MAME\gauntdl\gauntdl.chd

(CHDs are in a different romset than MAME's regular Arcade romset.)

I do. It runs fine if I go into MAME and launch it. But for some reason it seems to crash or close before it ever fully launches through BigBox. The only thing that’s different from any other arcade build I’ve done is this cabinet is running GroovyMAME with a CRT Arcade monitor. I don’t know if that could have anything to do with it. All of the other games launch fine from BigBox and that MAME version. 

16 minutes ago, Justanaccountimade said:

It runs fine if I go into MAME and launch it.

Apologies. You did say that earlier.  And I presume you're meaning on this particular cab build, launching it directly from GroovyMAME, it runs fine. ?.

My guess is, the command-line parameters (LaunchBox - Tools - Manage - Emulators ...) contain -rompath %romlocation% and your CHD's are not stored in subfolders below the regular ROMs as I depicted above.  Remove that parameter and try launching it again.

If that doesn't work, we'll go to plan "B".