LaunchBox Community Forums

EmuMovies Not Working (Login/Settings Bug?)

Posted (edited)

tl;dr:

My VPN was causing issues with external services like EmuMovies, RetroAchievements, etc. Disabling the VPN service while these services are active is what solved it. I was even using split tunneling where LaunchBox should not be affected, but it was anyway.

---

I've been having issues with LaunchBox regarding EmuMovies and connecting via the API to pull artwork down for different games. What seems to be happening is that LaunchBox is resetting the EmuMovies password in the Data folder under 'Settings.xml'. Even when you type it in manually into the application the password seems to not save and get reset back to something else. An attempt was made to open the .XML file with OpenOffice, but I was receiving an input/output error (this may be a Windows issue). Therefore, I resorted to editing the file with Notepad++ and successfully changed the password in the Settings.xml file. However, upon opening LaunchBox and attempting to download art I seem to now be getting an error:

last block incomplete in decryption

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.15
Theme:   Default
Type:    Org.BouncyCastle.Crypto.DataLengthException
Site:    Int32 DoFinal(Byte[], Int32)
Source:  BouncyCastle.Crypto

at Org.BouncyCastle.Crypto.Paddings.PaddedBufferedBlockCipher.DoFinal(Byte[] output, Int32 outOff)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Rijndael.Decrypt(Byte[] value, Byte[] key, Byte[] seed)
   at IssuerStub.QueryDataListener(Byte[] value, Byte[] key, Byte[] seed, IssuerStub )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Rijndael.Decrypt(String value, String key, String seed)
   at InvocationStub.QueryDataListener(String value, String key, String seed, InvocationStub )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Rijndael.Decrypt(String value, Guid key, Guid seed)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.ImportWizardEmuMoviesViewModel.ExcludeCompositeMap()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.CancelStatelessParameter(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.ReadMultipartDic()
   at System.Threading.Thread.StartHelper.Callback(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

12:39:27 PM Exception

It seems as though editing the file (perhaps because I did it with Notepad++) then throws off the settings which gives the user an error when attempting to download artwork. What happens is that when you open LaunchBox and attempt to connect to EmuMovies this error pops up and then promptly crashes the program. I've been unable to download anything else beyond this point.

Some additional steps that I have taken are:

I uninstalled Launchbox and reinstalled it. Things worked fine for two consoles imported with all of the ROMs. After that EmuMovies began not being able to connect and I began having the same issue. The strange part here is that I had only ever entered one password for EmuMovies upon this installation whereas in the previous one, I had changed it. For some reason, it was somehow able to use my previous password even when it was not entered and I had deleted all system files related to LaunchBox. Is it somehow pulling this password from EmuMovies and storing it inside the Settings.xml file itself? I don't see how else it could obtain it unless it is pulling the login data from somewhere else and overwriting the user input.

I had contacted EmuMovies originally about the issue and they suggested using a password without special characters (which I did). This seemed to fix the issue initially and allowed me to connect in the beginning through the Test option, but when attempting to connect to EmuMovies through the API it either didn't change the password in the Settings.xml file or overwrote the user input. Logging into EmuMovies with the updated password is fine and still works, but it appears that this is some sort of bug in LaunchBox itself where the login gets overwritten by the system even though the user has changed and updated it.

Anyway, I'm at a loss for what to do. I will uninstall Launchbox for a second time and reinstall it in the hopes of getting it working once again. However, it is clear to me that there seems to be some sort of bug in LaunchBox that is overwriting the user input inside the Settings.xml file which stores/changes the password.

If anyone has any solutions for this please feel free to post. I suppose I could do away with the artwork from EmuMovies, but then why am I paying them a membership fee? And the whole point of using the platform is for the collection to look great!

Update 1:

Upon the second installation I entered the credentials for EmuMovies and RetroAchievements. Neither of the logins seemed to connect. When opening and viewing the settings file the API key for RetroAchievements seems fine and was what I input. However, the password for EmuMovies has once again changed from my input to something completely different. It is not any of my former passwords either (is it storing a hash?). Either way, neither service seems to be connecting for me right now and I'm not sure why. They are enabled in the firewall settings and nothing else seems to be interfering with them.

Edited by Sloley

All passwords are hashed before storing them in the settings file for security reasons so what you're seeing in the file is "working as intended". If I had to guess one of your passwords may have a special character or a character that doesn't play nice in HTML encoding that is causing you issues.

Thank you. As I have been in contact with EmuMovies, I shortened the password greatly and removed all special characters. It still doesn't seem to be working for me, but if I'm doing something wrong I'm more than happy to take additional steps to troubleshoot and get things working.

Not entirely sure how best to help ya. Both those forms hit the third party API directly to get the success/fail that the test button does and so if it's failing typically it's either on the third party's end or the transmission between us and them.

*Slaps forehead*

Okay, you know what? It seems that my VPN is somehow interfering with the connection. I don't know why as I use split tunneling and only a few applications actually go through it, but for whatever reason it seems to interfere with all external LaunchBox connections.

I hope this comment helps anyone else out! Thanks for the help, C-Beats!