LaunchBox Community Forums

Auto Rom Import

Sinfire

I have this feature turned on and hoping to test it out soon...

I am curious..

1 - How does the system know what the rom is?  There are several naming conventions out there used by the Rom Utilities.  Do we need to have the names renamed to a certain standard?  or is launchbox able to somehow figure out the game based on size, file signature, etc

2 - What happens to the games it does not match?  Do you get a report or some log file saying these files were found but it was not imported?

3 - I see options to add games to the system.... and another option to remove games...  Why not have a sync option that syncs (adds and deletes) games based on the files that are in the directory instead of having to do 2 separate steps?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sinfire said:

I have this feature turned on and hoping to test it out soon...

I am curious..

1 - How does the system know what the rom is?  There are several naming conventions out there used by the Rom Utilities.  Do we need to have the names renamed to a certain standard?  or is launchbox able to somehow figure out the game based on size, file signature, etc

2 - What happens to the games it does not match?  Do you get a report or some log file saying these files were found but it was not imported?

3 - I see options to add games to the system.... and another option to remove games...  Why not have a sync option that syncs (adds and deletes) games based on the files that are in the directory instead of having to do 2 separate steps?

1) With few Exceptions such as ScummVM, Vita, and PS3 roms, primarily the auto import feature is looking inside whatever directory you have your ROMS and importing those files. There is some exclusion logic for example for CD "Cue" and "bin" files to prioritize cue files as example (not sure of all the others).  Thus, a "one file = one game" is usually the best fit for this feature.  When LB imports it then knows the platform, looks at the ROM name and tries to match to DB.  It isn't doing anything based on signature.  If you have something really oddball in naming then LB won't know how to auto match and you will have to manually match/override.

2)You will typically see them with odd names coupled with no media.  At least the front facing log you don't get anything that says what it doesn't import, but will get log saying what it did import. 

3)Sync is turned on when you turn on auto import and does what you describe. It will look in the folder for newly added files.  Those other two options are really to "force" LB to look for games and/or look for removed games but as a rule with auto import on you don't need to bother with forcing a sync to add. 

Edited by sundogak

Posted (edited)

For Portal 2 (PS3) and one of the Vita games, I'm getting a bunch of stuff like this being imported as games...

Can we exclude folders from the Auto-Import?

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by lino11