LaunchBox Community Forums

Suggestion for Launchbox

Elmo80

I recently transferred my LB setup to a new bigger drive as things got out of hand (i'm sure y ou know how it is) and made every attempt for it all to be portable and i'd say it was generally a success - good work Launchbox team. 

One issue i had, completely my own fault, was about 40 or so NES roms were linked to a backup drive which i had subsequently deleted the roms from that drive thinking the files  had transferred across to the main launchbox directory. This occured when there was an import wizard bug in a previous version of LB and i missed this error.  I subsequemtly had to sift through about 650 NES roms to see where the link/missing rom was broken by looking at the meta data - launching incorrect folder/file path. 

Something that i think would have made this a bit easier is if the meta data box in LB had a way, i.e. "next button" to skip to the next file to avoid having to back out of the meta data and then right click into meta data again for the next file. It would be an easier way to quickly skim  e.g. through the launching section of the meta data to pick any odd variances. 

Another possibility is an icon that might highlight a broken link to rom showing over the box art/image when skimming through the main game list. 

There may already be a simple way of doing this that i'm not aware but a suggestion for what's its worth.  

Thanks

7 hours ago, Elmo80 said:

skip to the next file to avoid having to back out of the meta data and then right click into meta data again for the next file. It would be an easier way to quickly skim  e.g. through the launching section of the meta data to pick any odd variances. 

Sorry to hear about your woes.  In the example you gave about looking at all the Launching sections for odd ROM paths, there is the Audit Tool. It basically puts all the games data into a spreadsheet type arrangement.  In there, you can click on the Application Path header to sort the ROM paths column.  Click it again to reverse the sort order.

Continuing with that example, if the ROMs for the platform [should] all reside in a single folder (i.e. D:\ROMs\NES\gameA.nesD:\ROMs\NES\gameB.nes etc.), you can use the Change ROMs Folder Path wizard.   Select all the games in that platform, then Tools - File Management - Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games.  Note: This only changes the games' Application Path in LaunchBox and doesn't touch the physical files.  Games that were already in the 'new folder path' won't change, and the 40 or so would be updated. 

This won't work for ROMs that reside in individual subfolders (i.e. D:\ROMs\NES\GameA\gameA.nesD:\ROMs\NES\GameB\gameB.nes etc.)

Excellent thanks for the advice i'll check that out. It would have been very usueful in this instance to identify the broken links. However i did delete the rom thinking it had imported through the wizard so the real pain was finidng a new copy of the rom and saving it in the right location, which there isn't an easy solution to unfortunatley. Regardless all fixed now :) 

• Game On 1