LaunchBox Community Forums

NO idea what to do with this...

Very strange problem I'm having. I use Big Box as my front end with multiple emulators and different bluetooth controllers based upon the system. 

When I launch any gamecube games, in dolphin, I use my PowerA GameCube bluetooth controller. However, anytime I HOLD DOWN L, it quites the game and returns me to Big Box. 

If I just TAP L, nothing happens. If I launch dolphin by itself, it works normally as well. 

No other controller does this in dolphin. Its ONLY the powerA gamecube controller and ONLY while in dolphin while using Big box!

I've double checked both dolphin settings and Big box settings to make sure I don't have any controller settings links to quite the rom. I've un-installed and reinstalled the controller, updated drivers, etc. 

I'm at my wits end! I figure this one out 

Edited by sandcracker21

Hey @sandcracker21

It sounds like your issue could be due to several factors. I'll try to help you figure it out.

1) it's possible that your GameCube controller is registering a tap and a long press as different inputs. The original GameCube controller is analog, meaning a fully pressed button can be registered differently from a partially pressed one. This might explain why the issue only occurs when you hold down the L button, if your controller behaves like a standard GameCube controller.

2) some controllers map their inputs to keyboard inputs. I've experienced issues where a controller input triggers a function mapped to a key input. To check this, do you have any keyboard shortcuts mapped in Dolphin for the `STOP` or `EXIT` functions? If so, try removing those shortcuts temporarily and see if the problem persists. This might not be the cause since the issue doesn't occur when launching Dolphin normally, but it's worth ruling out.

3)  are you running Steam in the background? It might sound strange, but I've had problems where Steam's controller mapping for desktop use causes double inputs in Big Box. Try closing Steam to see if the issue still happens.

4) if you go to Manage Emulators > Dolphin > Edit Emulator > Exit Script in LaunchBox Do you have anything configured there?

5) Does this happen for other emulators launched via Big Box (with the same controller)?

I'm not sure if any of that will help but hopefully might help to rule out a few things. Let me know how you get on.

Edited by bob_the_blob2

2) This was one of the first things I checked. In both dolphin and big/launch box there are no keys mapped to such. Didn't think this would be an issue since it's ONLY the gamecube controller that has thr problem but I checked anyway. 

3) I don't even have Steam on this particular machine. 

5) Yes, it seems to happen on all emulators with this controller. 

I'll get back to you on #4 when I get home. 

Thanks @sandcracker21, that definately helps to narrow things down.

I think the biggest lead right now is that it's happening across ALL emulators with that controller. That means it's probably not something to do with Dolphin specifically, but the way the controller is interacting through Big Box (assuming launching emulators outside of Big Box doesn't exhibit the issue). 

1) I know you mentioned this, but are you sure you don't have anything mapped to the `Exit` command under Big Box `Options > Controller Mappings`

2) Did you say this happen just in Big Box, or when launching games through LaunchBox as well? 

3) Out of interest, can you verify that the controller is registering the correct input when using something like Gamepad Tester

4) Is it only emulators this happens with? I.e if you add any old app to Launch Box, does it close that one down too?

Finally, the exit script is also something to verify, but we're slowly narrowing it down :)

Edited by bob_the_blob2

If it only happens when LaunchBox is opened the controller binding to check would be "Close Active Window". You can also look at your running AHK scripts. Those are typically the two things that would close a process from our app.

Bob:

1) That's correct, there's nothing mapped under controllers in Bix Box for "exit"

2) I've actually never used "regular" launch box on this system so not sure..

3) Yes, everything seems to be normal when using gameplay tester. 

4) Just tried a few other "apps" and yes, it appears to shut them all down if I hold L (not just simply tapping it)

Not sure why it's only this controller doing it. Very strange.