LaunchBox Community Forums

Meet The Team: x4ml

AstroBob

Can you believe it? LaunchBox is turning 11 years old this month! From humble beginnings to a thriving and passionate community, the team has grown from a single visionary to a collaborative team of over 10 people in various full-time and part-time capacities. Since this week is a time of celebration for us, we want to shine a light on some of the amazing folks who are helping to shape the future of LaunchBox and make it what it is today.

While we won’t be able to feature everyone on the team, and there are also multiple contributors both within and outside the community, we hope these posts offer some insight into some of the people working behind the scenes at LaunchBox who you might not know. This will give you a glimpse into their roles and history with the project.

We're continuing our series of team members with Andriy a.k.a @x4ml

Please introduce yourself and describe your role on the team
Hi, I’m Andriy, but you might know me as x4ml on the forums. I joined the LaunchBox team in August 2023. My role is to support the Android application and develop new features that enhance the mobile experience. I’m here to turn your ideas into reality, making sure the mobile app continues to evolve and meet your needs. Whether it’s fixing bugs or implementing exciting new features, I’m dedicated to making the Android version of LaunchBox the best it can be.

workspace.thumb.png.7f26cb7221c9a9829b73c0437539b291.png

A little snapshot of my daily workspace 😬

What is your history with gaming?
I started my gaming journey with the Sony PlayStation. I was so hooked that I’d even give up my ice cream money just to spend two hours at a computer club playing Crash Bandicoot. Over the years, my passion for console gaming faded when my parents bought me a PC, but it never completely went away. Since discovering LaunchBox, my love for nostalgic games has been reignited, and I’m excited to dive back into those classic experiences once again.

CrashBandicoot.thumb.jpg.d2bb416bfac9f7330add672652f50e69.jpg

LaunchBox gave me an excuse to dust off this old classic again!

What’s the most challenging aspect of your role?
I’d say the most challenging part is addressing bugs that are tricky to reproduce. I’m driven to find solutions, but when bugs don’t happen consistently or come and go, it can feel like trying to find a needle in a haystack! However, the satisfaction of finally reproducing and fixing the issue is incredibly gratifying.

What are some of your proudest moments while working on LaunchBox?
My proudest moments are when we publish a new update and users take the time to thank us on the forum for the new features and improvements. Seeing the positive impact our work has on the community makes all the effort worthwhile. It’s incredibly rewarding to know that what we’re building is appreciated and making a difference for the users.

What upcoming features or developments in LaunchBox for Android are you most looking forward to?
I can’t reveal all the features we’re working on for future versions, but there’s one idea I’m really excited about. We’re developing an extraordinary feature for animated transitions between pages, and the best part is that users will be able to customize these transitions to match their own styles. It’s going to add a whole new level of personalization and flair to the app!

If you had a magic wand, what LaunchBox feature would you wish into existence?
I’d love to develop a version of the app for iOS devices. It would be fantastic to bring the LaunchBox experience to even more users on different platforms. Even though the iOS emulation scene feels like it is just getting started, it would be amazing to jump through all the technical hurdles to make it a reality. There are a lot of barriers to overcome there, but who knows, maybe someday!

iOSEmulators.thumb.jpg.faca4ec02ef1c50b549bdd33cf47ed47.jpg

The iOS emulation scene is only just getting started

What is your favorite game of all time and why?
When it comes to PC games, Counter-Strike is my all-time favorite—whether it’s 1.6, Global Offensive, or CS 2. The competitive gameplay and the community have always kept me hooked. On the console side, I have a special love for Contra. The fast-paced action and co-op gameplay bring back great memories every time I play it.

Contra.thumb.png.625ca17a5b12a4330bbc2e56122279cd.png

You don't get much of a better opening level than this 💪

Do you have any hobbies outside of gaming?
I’m really into fishing. I can spend 12 hours out there and come home without catching a single fish, but I love it. For me, fishing is pure relaxation—a way to unwind and enjoy some peace and quiet, regardless of the outcome. Maybe I should explore the world of fishing games 😉 I know there’s a big fanbase for those, but for me, nothing beats the real thing for peak relaxation.

SegaBass.thumb.jpg.25c27b8efd1feda26a71ae8207289e2d.jpg

I’ve heard this one is pretty good—maybe some arcade fishing die-hards can share their suggestions 😬

Stay tuned for more "Meet The Team" posts coming throughout the week! 🎉

• Like 3