LaunchBox Community Forums

The Great Game Gauntlet 👑 DAY 4

AstroBob

The Great Game Gauntlet: Round 4  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote for the game you’d like to see advance to the next round!

• Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2
    • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
    • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
    • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania
    • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Additions to make earlier games fit in better with later established lore or gameplay standards definitely brings them to the next level, as otherwise the first game in a series, while great, can stand out in that regard as many changes are made as the series progresses that can leave it feeling dated.

More playable content. I can do most of the the time without watching old concept images, but adding new chapters or game modes is the best it works for me. Like the Quake 2 remaster, it added a new expansion and it even let you play old maps done when the game was in early development.

The DVD style director commentary track would be a nice addition to many games. I'm more likely to turn that on while playing than to spend much time viewing art or other museum content included with some remasters.

Artwork, manuals, regional box arts, a player for the music, an arranged soundtrack, superbosses, added dungeons. 
There are many possibilities, but I'll go with the general consensus of digital museum, those are always a treat! 

That's a good question. When I think about bonus content, things like an art gallery, model viewer, photo mode and unreleased content (like enemies, levels, tracks and weapons that didn't make the cut) comes to my mind

I consider the following as great bonus to any collection or remaster:

. The ability to play either on HD or the original resolution/aspect ratio

. If not available on the original, include achievements

. Gallery of pictures and videos about the development process of the original game, interviews, artwork - either as in-game unlockable content or via menu

. Original music as audio download and/or streaming

. Physical cards, manuals, maps, coins, or any other collectable

Adding achievements to the games (assuming the original was before the time of achievements) is a good thing in my mind.  I also like the idea of having the soundtrack available as MP3s and I agree with others on the in-game museum concept.

A ton of new features and improvements. For me right now I can use Pokémon Alpha Sapphire as an example, the game has new engine, new characters, new stories, new pokémons, new moves, improved battle system and a lot more. Things that will make us eager to play the game again.

I love the museum's in some games. Nintendo has done some good ones, but more recently Astro's Playroom comes to mind. The collectibles you could view and interact with in the museum were really well done.

Super Mario All Stars for SNES, Sonic Mega Gem Collection and Mega Collection Plus for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube are good examples. The most important to me in extra content case is something like "never released" things, like some art works from the inital production, deleted levels playable, old prototypes. Oh, and i love to see new content in the games present in the collection, like new extrea levels, new skins, achievements and rewards.

supermarioallstars.thumb.png.445809c1ddcd5c2e00781536ce9d54de.png

3e016afbcaa83fd59ad90717b56c8b96.thumb.jpg.16b88cbc39b4a49f7054b26a3e114ce5.jpg

20240829_165124.thumb.jpg.f9d94f6195c03e29c6e3e35e757c5eb8.jpg

Next level Bonus content is probably stuff like:

• art books / art collections
  • stories about lore and development
  • stuff you can't see in the game but adds to the overall experience
  • allowing users to experience both the old and new graphics is very cool too

For remastered duology collections, I'm a big fan of the more content the better!  Super Mario All-Stars was a great early example by including the actual Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels, which most of us in the US hadn't had an opportunity to experience up to that point!  As well as including updated graphics on the original three games!  For more modern versions, I love the new Konami collections, such as The Castlevania Collection and the Contra Collection; these both added multiple regional versions in addition to timelines and concept art!  The Capcom Arcade Stadium Collections were also excellent due to the virtual arcade experience and the ability to play "new" content through both US and Japanese releases of most games!  

Super Mario All-Stars (1993) - The Pixels Buy Castlevania Anniversary Collection PC Steam key! Cheap price | ENEBAContra Anniversary Collection (English)Capcom Arcade Stadium for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

I would love to see more duology games put together for games that actually continue the same direct story line, such as in Final Fantasy X/X-2.  Colony Wars from Psygnosis is one that I'd love to see since the sequel actually sees the victors become the oppressors to the original antagonists!  TRANSFORMERS: War and Fall of Cybertron together as a set would be AMAZING, but make sure to include the DS versions too!  

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - WikipediaColony wars series image - 5TH Generation Gamers - ModDBFinally got the Transformers Cybertron Games!!! : r/gamecollecting