LaunchBox Community Forums

Is it possible to increase performance?

Psycho_Ch

I've been using lunchbox for a while now but just recently I got a handheld, the main porpoise I gave to said handheld is to emulate at most N64 so it didn't had to be a powerful device, the thing is that entering tabs and the loading of games takes a long enough time to be somewhat annoying (1-2 Seconds entering a tab). So my question is, is there a way to improve loading times?

Extra info: I'm not using any custom theme other than the ones that came by default and configs are all set to default.

57 minutes ago, Psycho_Ch said:

I've been using lunchbox for a while now but just recently I got a handheld, the main porpoise I gave to said handheld is to emulate at most N64 so it didn't had to be a powerful device, the thing is that entering tabs and the loading of games takes a long enough time to be somewhat annoying (1-2 Seconds entering a tab). So my question is, is there a way to improve loading times?

Extra info: I'm not using any custom theme other than the ones that came by default and configs are all set to default.

First thing you'll want to do go into the Options and turn off the following options:

• Automatically Download Missing Media When Needed - This will use background processes to download media while you are browsing, which costs performance modern devices can easily spare. Cheaper handheld devices would want to turn this off and download media using the manual process.
  • Enable Video Streaming - Although downloading and watching videos are nice, cheaper handhelds may struggle to constantly be streaming video, so having this off would be beneficial.

You'll also want to use a view that requires minimal media. In total LaunchBox for Android can download and display a total of 5 different types of media per game, which can be a lot for a small device. Using a custom theme like Pure, which only needs 1 image per game, could help your situation out a lot. Go into Manage Themes, download that theme, open the Global Theme View Options and switch the game view to this, and see if that helps.

Not sure it will solve all your issues, a low powered device will always be a low powered device, but at least there are some things you can turn off and be mindful of that could help that device out a bit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, faeran said:

First thing you'll want to do go into the Options and turn off the following options:

• Automatically Download Missing Media When Needed - This will use background processes to download media while you are browsing, which costs performance modern devices can easily spare. Cheaper handheld devices would want to turn this off and download media using the manual process.
  • Enable Video Streaming - Although downloading and watching videos are nice, cheaper handhelds may struggle to constantly be streaming video, so having this off would be beneficial.

You'll also want to use a view that requires minimal media. In total LaunchBox for Android can download and display a total of 5 different types of media per game, which can be a lot for a small device. Using a custom theme like Pure, which only needs 1 image per game, could help your situation out a lot. Go into Manage Themes, download that theme, open the Global Theme View Options and switch the game view to this, and see if that helps.

Not sure it will solve all your issues, a low powered device will always be a low powered device, but at least there are some things you can turn off and be mindful of that could help that device out a bit.

Thx for your response.

I always download all media beforehand (Manually as you said) and I don't like videos on frontends so I neither have them.

Changing the theme worked while scrolling between games but not for entering tabs, but at the end I think the problem is related to optimization in app, so I guess nothing I can fix other than aquire better hardware.