LaunchBox Community Forums

Suggestion: Would it be possible to implement a Netplay system with video streaming, similar to Parsec, in LaunchBox?

schizophrenia

I was thinking about how LaunchBox makes it easy to organize and use emulators, especially with RetroArch, which already has a built-in Netplay system for online multiplayer. However, I was wondering: would it be possible, hypothetically, for LaunchBox to implement or integrate a Netplay system with video streaming, similar to what we see with Parsec or Steam Remote Play Together?

The idea would be that instead of relying only on traditional Netplay (like in RetroArch, which syncs inputs and game states), LaunchBox could offer an experience where the host "streams" the game to other players, allowing even single-player games to be played together (much like how Parsec or Steam Remote Play Together work). This could be interesting for those using emulators that don’t have built-in Netplay or who want an alternative to state-based Netplay.

I understand that LaunchBox currently doesn’t have a native Netplay system, but do you think something like this could be implemented in the future? Or perhaps a more direct integration with third-party tools like Parsec so we could see what game people are playing and join the room .

Edited by schizophrenia

• schizophrenia changed the title to Suggestion: Would it be possible to implement a Netplay system with video streaming, similar to Parsec, in LaunchBox?

Hi @schizophrenia Thank you for the great suggestion! Streaming your current gameplay in LaunchBox outside of Netplay-supported emulators is definitely a cool idea. However, at this time, we don’t have any plans to implement a feature like that. I can see how having a unified system within LaunchBox, seamlessly integrated, would be useful. However, the scope of such a project is quite large compared to other initiatives we’re focused on right now.

Whenever there are existing systems out there that already do this (i.e Parsec, Steam Remote Play) we would want to ensure we're offering something that those systems don't do already. Additionally, the complexity of creating the infrastructure required for the streaming of gameplay is currently outside of our area of expertise. While it’s not off the table for the future, it’s not something we’re actively considering at the moment and if we were to attempt this, we'd more likely look to integrate with existing solutions.

We’d also love to hear more ideas from others on how you envision such a system working—specifically, what features you think should be included that other solutions don’t offer, and how this would impact your workflow. It could be a cool idea for a community built plugin in the future.

Thanks so much for the feedback though, we really appreciate it.