LaunchBox Community Forums

Mamehooker and mame and launchbox

yoshi98bc

I am attempting to get mamehooker to launch before a mame game launches in launchbox. However, whenever i utilize the additional app section of the game and point it to mamehooker to launch before the game, mame minimizes to taskbar. But it does hook. Happens even when i use a direct ahk script thru launchbox to launch mame game and mamehooker. Happens in big box as well. Does not happen with ahk scripts for teknoparrot. Only mame. Seems like mame and mamehooker and Launchbox dont play nicely. Any thoughts? 

Thanks

26 minutes ago, yoshi98bc said:

I am attempting to get mamehooker to launch before a mame game launches in launchbox. However, whenever i utilize the additional app section of the game and point it to mamehooker to launch before the game, mame minimizes to taskbar. But it does hook. Happens even when i use a direct ahk script thru launchbox to launch mame game and mamehooker. Happens in big box as well. Does not happen with ahk scripts for teknoparrot. Only mame. Seems like mame and mamehooker and Launchbox dont play nicely. Any thoughts? 

If you use an AHK script outside of LB/BB to Run mamehooker then Run mame.exe [ROM], does MAME not minimize?

Hmmm.  LB shouldn't be telling MAME to "minimize".  Unless I suppose you have MAME windowed and in the emulator settings (in LB) you have the box for "Attempt to hide console window on startup/shutdown" checked.  Even then, I don't think LB "minimizes" what it sees as the console window. I think it just puts it at the bottom of the z-order.  (I could be wrong)

A test would be [assuming MAME is running fullscreen] is to turn off Startup Screens for your MAME emulator and see if that changes anything.  Also in the Startup Screen section, there's "Hide All Windows that are not in Exclusive Fullscreen Mode".  Again, assuming MAME is running fullscreen, may check/-un-check that. (THough don't think that'll change anything with your situation)

Another would be to create a new emulator that's your AHK script (passing the ROM name to the script). See what that does.

Is MAME Hooker set to start minimized? (if that's even an option)

There's aren't end-all, cure-all solutions (yet?). They're just processes of elimination.

So i have tried everything you suggested. I turned all the startup screens options off.

I also created an emulator to launch the ahk script thru launchbox. It minimized mame. 

Mamehooker is set to hide in ahk script but doesnt do anything. 

I even set a sleep command in ahk script. Mame launched fine, but the second mamehooker launches mame minimizes. Once again only when launched from Launchbox.

I did report this as a bug since it makes absolutely no sense

48 minutes ago, yoshi98bc said:

I even set a sleep command in ahk script. Mame launched fine, but the second mamehooker launches mame minimizes. Once again only when launched from Launchbox.

If you have the Additional App set to launch "before main application", you'd probably need to set a pretty long sleep timer.

If MAME Hooker can by physically started after MAME starts, instead of a sleep timer in the additional app, add something like Process,Wait,mame.exe.  Then load MAME Hooker.  Can add a short Sleep after the Wait to make sure MAME is fully loaded. Or better yet, WinWaitActive,ahk_exe mame.exe.

If you will be using MAME Hooker for all MAME games, instead of an additional app, you could add the script to the Running Script for the MAME emulator. (If MH can be started after MAME is running)

48 minutes ago, yoshi98bc said:

Mamehooker is set to hide in ahk script but doesnt do anything. 

It is almost like launchbox sees mamehooker as the active window. But its minimized in the taskbar. 

So MAME Hooker is set to hide, but all it does is minimize?

53 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

If you have the Additional App set to launch "before main application", you'd probably need to set a pretty long sleep timer.

If MAME Hooker can by physically started after MAME starts, instead of a sleep timer in the additional app, add something like Process,Wait,mame.exe.  Then load MAME Hooker.  Can add a short Sleep after the Wait to make sure MAME is fully loaded. Or better yet, WinWaitActive,ahk_exe mame.exe.

If you will be using MAME Hooker for all MAME games, instead of an additional app, you could add the script to the Running Script for the MAME emulator. (If MH can be started after MAME is running)

So MAME Hooker is set to hide, but all it does is minimize?

I i tried a long sleep timer, and when mamehooker launches, even if mame is running, the mame window minimizes

I have not had any luck with mamehooker starting after mame, it wont hook when it starts after mame

I added mamehooker to the running script, still minimizes mame.

I used the Run, Add your path here/mamehook.exe,,hide in my ahk and mame still minimizes when mamehooker loads

10 minutes ago, yoshi98bc said:

I i tried a long sleep timer, and when mamehooker launches, even if mame is running, the mame window minimizes

I have not had any luck with mamehooker starting after mame, it wont hook when it starts after mame

Thanks for confirming. If it won't hook after MAME is running, then a Sleep time won't help any. It also won't work if ran from the Running Script.

My last-ditch effort... I have no idea what your Additional App script looks like, but you might be able to add some stuff at the end to 'restore' the MAME window.

Run, "D:\SomeFolder\MAMEHooker\mamehook.exe",,Min

Process,Wait,mame.exe
WinActivate,ahk_exe mame.exe

If WinActivate doesn't produce the desired result, you can try WinMaximize.  Also, Min(imizing) might work better than "hide".