LaunchBox Community Forums

Batch file to Auto-Generate .m3us 1.0.0

(0 reviews)

About This File

The new m3u auto generator for Launchbox is a great tool, but it also got me wondering if I couldn't create m3u files for every one of my Sony Playstation titles (including single disk games) and would that work in Retroarch? Something just appeals to me about the uniform file extension on import in Launchbox, and of course, if I wanted to launch games outside of the Launchbox environment I'd need some static m3us. I also wanted to have m3us with relative paths to the cue files, for simplicity sake.

So I asked on Stack Overflow and, not long after, some genuis had posted a working batch script. I figured I'd share it. I also tested whether or not single cue m3us would work in Retroarch, and it turns out they do.  

Important:

Your games directory should look like this:

Main Directory/[Game Name]/[whatever name].cue 

e.g Sony Playstation/Chrono Cross/disk 1.cue, disk 2.cue

• The bat file should be run from the main directory
  • The bat file will name the m3u after the directory the cue files are in and place it in that same directory
  • The bat file will create m3us in every subdirectory which holds at least 1 cue file (it doesn't single out multidisk games as it is now, so be aware of that)
  • The bat file should work with any system provided it has the above directory set up and utilizes cue files
  • The m3us list relative paths to the cue files, not absolute paths. 

So continuing the above example, I ran the file in my "Sony Playstation" directory, and within the "Chrono Cross" directory an m3u file was generated and listed relative paths to all the cue files in that directory and was automatically named "Chrono Cross.m3u" (after the folder name, not the cue file(s) names or anything else in the folder).

Lastly, the Stock Overflow user wrote a batch script for both NTFS and FAT hard drives. Apparently the code is different for each. I personally have not tested the FAT version as my drive is NTFS. If anyone wants to check the code, the user also left a thorough explanation  that is absolutely unreadable to me. :D See here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60049048/need-a-batch-file-to-create-and-name-m3us-in-subdirectories

Hope it helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

There are no reviews to display.