LaunchBox Community Forums

4 Screenshots

About This File

A Music Video Theme. Originally, I was creating this as a platform view for my Vertical Aspirations theme, but I liked it so much, I decided to recreate it as it's own theme. It can be run stand alone as a Jukebox, or you can add your own video Jukebox platform and select it as the theme for that platform. You'll have to supply your own media. If you do a Google search for jukebox frontend, you might find some.

You'll need to set up  a platform for music videos. I'm using VLC as the emulator using --fullscreen --play-and-exit for the command line parameters. In addition to launching videos, I have several vlc playlists set up. The playlists I set up individually with --random --fullscreen as the command line parameters. RetroArch also has an FFMPEG core that will play videos, but I haven't found a way for it to use playlists yet. If playlists ever get implemented, it will be a great way to have random videos play forever in a bezel.

Note: This was created on, and for, 9:16 oriented monitors running in portrait mode. Landscape mode will likely not work at all for this. Horizontal theme added. Select VideoBox in the download for horizontal theme. Select VideoBox Vertical for vertical theme.

This is a bare-bones theme. You can run it by itself if you like, but I imagine most people will want to run it as its own view within their theme of choice. In order to do this, in the controller mappings or keyboard mappings section within BigBox options settings, set up the keys for switch theme and switch views. The image below is for reference only. You don't have to use the same keys I'm using.

1664840762_switchthemeandview.thumb.png.d08d9960250f72db88aa89a26367881f.pngWhen you go into the platform you'll set up for Music Videos, press your newly assigned button for change theme to bring up the theme menu. Select VideoBox. Once the theme loads you may need to hit the change view button you set up earlier a few times to get to the proper view.1154826993_themeselection.thumb.png.0dda2e43bc90744294315daebd14b4fe.png

Let me know in the comments if you like it, see something that needs improvement, or you have other questions.

Built with Community Theme Creator 1.0.8.94.

What's New in Version 1.0.0   See changelog

Released

Added Horizontal Theme

• Like 3
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is pretty cool and I certainly like the idea of having a theme exclusively for music videos. However, the main problem I'm having is that it requires logos for each title? I must be missing something, because it just uses giant text for each video title, which doesn't look very attractive. How were you able to get those jukebox labels in there? 

17 hours ago, bundangdon said:

This is pretty cool and I certainly like the idea of having a theme exclusively for music videos. However, the main problem I'm having is that it requires logos for each title? I must be missing something, because it just uses giant text for each video title, which doesn't look very attractive. How were you able to get those jukebox labels in there? 

The labels are in my clear logos folder. Yes there is a label for every song. They are part of the media pack I mentioned  (doing a Google search for the Jukebox Frontend). I could certainly re-work it to have a static label there with text that appears for each artist. Would that work better? Now that you've brought that up, it actually might be an easier solution. Then you could just add videos at will and not worry about creating media. I'm not against sharing the Community Theme Builder files if someone would like to collaborate.

One thing I would like is the ability to play each video fully in attract mode before randomly going to the next artist. I'm guessing that will require some programming on Jason's side or someone to create a clever plugin.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I didn't remember to follow my own post and didn't get a notification.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JaysArcade said:

The labels are in my clear logos folder. Yes there is a label for every song. They are part of the media pack I mentioned  (doing a Google search for the Jukebox Frontend). I could certainly re-work it to have a static label there with text that appears for each artist. Would that work better? Now that you've brought that up, it actually might be an easier solution. Then you could just add videos at will and not worry about creating media. I'm not against sharing the Community Theme Builder files if someone would like to collaborate.

One thing I would like is the ability to play each video fully in attract mode before randomly going to the next artist. I'm guessing that will require some programming on Jason's side or someone to create a clever plugin.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I didn't remember to follow my own post and didn't get a notification.

No worries! If you wouldn't mind, I could throw something together with the Community Theme Builder that could use a text list instead of clear logos. That way, you could keep the theme as you prefer, and anyone who wants to adjust anything can just do it themselves, in this case - me :)

4 hours ago, bundangdon said:

No worries! If you wouldn't mind, I could throw something together with the Community Theme Builder that could use a text list instead of clear logos. That way, you could keep the theme as you prefer, and anyone who wants to adjust anything can just do it themselves, in this case - me :)

I don't mind at all! I've already left for the day so I'm unable to share the Theme Builder stuff right now. I can share it with you this evening if you like, or you can just use the files from the theme and re-create it. There's not much to the theme so it wouldn't be hard to recreate if you are anxious to get started. 

2 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

I don't mind at all! I've already left for the day so I'm unable to share the Theme Builder stuff right now. I can share it with you this evening if you like, or you can just use the files from the theme and re-create it. There's not much to the theme so it wouldn't be hard to recreate if you are anxious to get started. 

Okay, sounds good. I'll try to find the files from the theme, although I'm pretty sure the finished "view" files used in the BigBox theme folder are not compatible with Community Theme Builder.

2 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Okay, sounds good. I'll try to find the files from the theme, although I'm pretty sure the finished "view" files used in the BigBox theme folder are not compatible with Community Theme Builder.

Oh, OK. I didn't know that. I thought they stayed the same as in the editor. If not, they should be in a folder named Main inside the (I think) Media folder. I'll try to remember to share the project files tonight.

Hey Jay I love your platform theme as it was something I have always wanted to add to my Cabinet to make it complete for me. I was actually playing around with some of the Jukebox CoinOps builds so I have all the media ect.  My cabinet build is a little different than most as i took an idea from another fellow Arcade member and used a 4K tv in Portrait mode with a custom resolution of 2160 x 2160 but as you can see from picture the video is too big along with the Music Video Ticket. (I just saw to put the Music Vid images in the clear logos) I am assuming if I edit one of the text view files would this solve my issue?  Is it the HorizontalWheel1GamesView I would edit? Thanks again for any help.20210114_101408.thumb.jpg.cb25ca90c5eab130cfd61b803efd7e36.jpg

Gosh you know, I'm really not sure how you would do this. You'll need to probably edit that file, but I'm not really sure what you would edit. I would think for rare cases like yours, editing the Theme Builder Files directly on a monitor with that resolution would be the best option. How are you setting the custom size? If I can duplicate that, I can customize the theme for you.

Thanks for your response.  I just made a custom resolution of 2160x2160 Centered in portrait mode in the AMD software I use to run the video card. I tried to use the theme builder on my main pc and always got errors on start up. I am going to try again on my arcade pc and check it out. When I set the Jukebox theme to Videobox everything is ok for the video ect it doesn't take up the whole screen leaving black bars on the top and bottom. I am just excited that you started this and I imagine in the future people will add to it.

58 minutes ago, Huntsmiester said:

I tried to use the theme builder on my main pc and always got errors on start up.

When you download the Theme Builder Program it comes in a zip file. Before you extract the files, you must right click the zip and click properties and click the unblock check box. If you don't, the program will throw errors when you try to run it. 

The Theme Builder program (as far as I know) currently only works in 16x9 (horizontal), 4x3 (horizontal) or stretch to monitor size, so editing the theme stretched to your aspect ratio would be the way to do it. I think you will be frustrated if you try to edit anything for that aspect ratio from a landscape oriented monitor. My vertical themes were created on a vertical monitor using the stretch ratio because the Theme Builder currently will not let me edit a vertical theme on a landscape monitor. The next big update to the Theme Creator is supposed to include vertical layouts so that will be nice, but I think you'll still have an issue with a 1x1 ratio unless you edit directly in a monitor with that ratio with the stretch ratio enabled.

aspect.png.545ed777bddfae30ed00ca4c4fdd765f.png

If I get a chance (and remember to look into it), I'll play around with my monitor (also 4k) and see if I can get a 1x1 ratio. If I can, I'll try to put out an alternate theme for you.

I was successful in installing the Theme Creator on my arcade PC and was able to open it up and look around. Using stretch makes sense and I definitely am going to try and learn as much as i can about building themes as I always end up tweaking or changing graphics in others. Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

You can copy out the images from the VideoBox theme and use them in your theme. I beleive they are in the Media/main folder. Not entirely sure about that since I'm at work but you should be able to find them.

Hey Jay

Thank you so much for doing the 1x1 Ratio as it fits perfectly in my set up.  I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together. Cheers20210115_091249.thumb.jpg.c90103b141127ee1fa7e275794394a27.jpg

• Like 1