LaunchBox Community Forums

[Implemented] Feature Request - Fill in game name from folder/file name

ZummiGummi

When you are adding in a game, it would be helpful if the name of the game was automatically filled in from the folder name or file name. E.g. for the DOS game, Black Cauldron, if the game name is blank, and I add bc.com from the folder The Black Cauldron, it will automatically fill in the game name from the folder name. For emulators, the game name will be filled in by file name instead, and maybe some regex voodoo to tidy up the name, so Alex Kidd in Miracle World (UE) [!].zip becomes Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

Great idea, Beresford. I'll look to get that added. One issue I can see though is that often when users are selecting the file, they haven't yet selected whether the game is emulated or not. So I can see that being a problem, but I can certainly still do it. I might have some luck looking at the file extension. I also have plans at some point to try and get a batch import of ROMs going that automatically populates all that stuff. It would be great if I could do the same thing for DOSBox games, etc., but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Checking for file extensions was the only way I could think of that it would work. If it's an exe, com or bat file then populate using folder name, if it's a .zip file, then it's probably a ROM and use file name. If you ever start supporting DOS games in zip files, then you will run into problems though. Batch importing DOSBox games will be tricky as well because of multiple exe files, so you will have to prompt the user to chose the correct file. Or use filename/MD5 checks, which is what DFR uses to guess the game.

Oic. Yeah, it'd be awesome if they added it. I imagine it'd be tough because you'd have to support different checksums for different versions and such. Certainly doable, but it'd take a while to get it populated to the point where it'd be effective. But it sounds like maybe DFR already has...idk.