LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Music

So, not sure if this is a user error or not...but, it seems LaunchBox defaults to using Windows Media Player for it's game music? I was trying to use a codec not supported by WMP for some of my game music, and of course, WMP cannot handle it (namely, FLAC). My default media player for FLAC is foobar2000, and I figured it would open it with the default. Is this an error on my end? If not, and WMP is the designated player... Is it possible to change the media player the program uses? Or have it use the default player? Is that a feature that could be added? If not, that's perfectly fine, I don't have much in the way of VGM and I can see how this could effect portability. Thank you so much!!!!

Hi Death, yes it uses the Windows Media Player functionality that's built in to Windows. It doesn't really use WMP, but it does use the underlying technology. In an effort to make it efficient and portable and such, I just used it internally in the app instead of firing off a separate music player. I hear you on the FLAC files and foobar2000; I use both as well for my music collection. Lately I've had the desire to be able to attach the entire game soundtracks to my games (most notably games I download from GOG.com that come with soundtracks). So sooner or later I'll want to somehow implement that, and I'll probably use an external player to do it (revamp what I have). Though of course unfortunately I have a lot of other more pressing things to do first. Thanks for the note; it's good to see you around on the forums. We're starting to get a small group of regulars going. :)

Ahhh alright, I gotcha. Yeah, being able to link whole soundtracks would be awesome, especially with the GOG games. I totally understand it's a low priority, it's more of a cosmetic thing and I was just wondering if I was doing things correctly. I'm happy to help and I've noticed the growing community as well. It's pretty awesome!