LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature requests

sekohnke

Good evening, Thank you for putting LaunchBox out there. It has a lot of functions that I've wanted in a launcher. You've done a great job, it looks good. I admit that some of these features I am requesting may be there already and I have just not found them. I haven't gone through all the tutorials yet, but I'm a big figure it out person, and not so much a watch videos person. My preferred medium for tutorials and the like is text. That's one suggestion - a wiki, or other text documentation. The videos are nice, but the ability to search text would be great. Having a wiki would perhaps let others help with the text. You should be able to enter in the ID of the game from the gamesDB, instead of having to go through search. I'm having quite a few problems with the search functions for the games DB. For example, the game "Actraiser" (and actually most of my snes ROMs) won't be found on a search, but will be found when I go through the categories to find them. If I find the game ID manually and edit the XML directly and then do an update, it works fine. It would be nice to be able to change the installed version of DOSbox and/or ScummVM. It looks like I can just copy in a new version over top, but my suggestion would be able to set the install directories for the VMs in a global window of some sort. I'd like to be able to set platforms other than PC and MS-DOS. Granted everything is ON my PC, but it would be nice to be able to say "SNES-ROM" or something of the sort. Maybe this list should be editable from global options? It would also be nice to be able to set up the other emulators from a similar global window. It looks like when I set up an emulator like a SNES emulator, the settings are shared, but I have to go into the ROM to edit those settings. Those emulators should be able to be configured from the options window. That location would just make more sense, in my mind. That and it should make it easier to update the installed. I have some other ideas I'd like to post, if you don't mind these, but interruptions do not allow me to continue at the moment. (And sorry for typos and the like, no time to proofread right now either). -SEK

Hey SEK, I'm obviously not the developer of Launchbox, but I wanted to let you know that you are able to manually change the platform of your added titles. All you do is type SNES-ROM into the platform form and save, this will create a new platform for your organization system. Also, when you scrape data from the gamesDB, it should add the platform of the game. (I have noticed that there are MS-DOS titles that gamesDB files as PC, and then you have to manually edit them. I have a platform for DOS and for my current PC games.) I like your other suggestions, especially the Wiki idea. Hopefully Jason will be able to take a look at this soon! Welcome to the community!

SEK, glad to hear you got the platform figured out. Thanks Dexter. A wiki would certainly be nice, agreed. As for the moment though I need to focus on the development, so unless someone volunteers to create the wiki, we'll shelve it for the time being. It's not obvious, but you actually can enter in the game's ID in the title field, hit search, and it will find the game. There are a number of issues with that search, but there's little I can do to fix them because the issues are unfortunately with TheGamesDB's search engine. I've contacted them (and even donated) asking for them to fix it but I haven't yet received a response. I do have plans to add the ability to customize the DOSBox and ScummVM versions (and ideally allow different versions for different games). It's not exactly priority for the moment, but I'll bump it up a little. :) I agree that emulators make a bit more sense to be in the options window, that's a good point. I do want to keep them accessible from the game editor, but I'll add a todo item to put them in Options as well. Please do let me know what else you have. Thanks for the feedback. :)