LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Automount a Non-Dos game and run without cd?

Hafitz

Hi there, Again thank you for developing this great Frontend Software. I'd like to know something. I have a couple of games, virtua fighter 2, monster truck madness and etc, well these games all comes with CD Audio Track. Is there a way I can create a .cue \ .bin off it, then automount the images and launch the games without the CD while retaining the in game music audio? I know it works for dos games and dosbox. Your tutorial is very helpful, but what about windows games? Maybe can show me which video to watch or explain if there's a way? Thank you! Hafidz (Le Fizsyiah) PS: Can't Wait for Premium!

Hafitz said Hi there, Again thank you for developing this great Frontend Software. I'd like to know something. I have a couple of games, virtua fighter 2, monster truck madness and etc, well these games all comes with CD Audio Track. Is there a way I can create a .cue \ .bin off it, then automount the images and launch the games without the CD while retaining the in game music audio? I know it works for dos games and dosbox. Your tutorial is very helpful, but what about windows games? Maybe can show me which video to watch or explain if there's a way? Thank you! Hafidz (Le Fizsyiah) PS: Can't Wait for Premium!
The short answer is, no. LaunchBox and DOSBox are focused on the DOS side of everything. DOSBox is the emulator and were simply the front end with some tools. If we needed to emulate Windows games, there would probably be more tools to deal with images for those games. The fact is, so far LB wasn't made with any of that stuff in mind. Now, you could probably figure something out in the meantime with scripts, and in the options you can uncheck "Use DOSBox." I don't know if that will work honestly, just unchecking a box and trying to use existing tools, but if it relies on DOSBox, it probably wont. Now, Jason could add better tools to deal with windows games from the 98 to XP era, but there hasn't been too much of a desire for that until now. I'll let him know to read this and he might be able to figure something out, or put this on the feature list.

Thank you very much for the generous reply, maybe what I can try to do is to use Alcohol Auto Mount commands and add to the command perimeter of the game's .exe, maybe that will work. Of course first I'd have to manually rip the CD using Alcohol120% and then add games to launch box, and add a command line to automount with alcohol..maybe that will help for now..though I haven't try it..but thank u for reply once again!! :) Cheers!!!

Hi Hafitz, I actually have thought about this scenario, and I've tried a few things. There's been at least one other forum post about it too. Unfortunately, though, old Windows games are notoriously difficult to get running on modern Windows machines. Do the games play successfully on your machine *with* the CD? If so, then yes, you should be able to use Alcohol or Daemon Tools or similar to mount the CD. You can use the Additional Applications to run commands before and after the game launches, which has worked well for a number of people. However, if the game doesn't run under your current version of Windows, unfortunately the only way to get it to run is to use virtual machine software. VMware seems to be your best bet. But that is a pain; it involves installing a version of Windows that runs the game in a virtual machine, and then running the game that way. So it's quite involved.

Hi Jason, thank you for the reply, sorry was busy over the weekend..therefore the late reply.. I've been working from time to time to get old games running on newer PCs and OS...the only thing that bothers me is getting some old Direct3D Games to work as it slows down on Windows 8..i managed to fix most old windows games on windows 7 though. I have subscribed you in Youtube, and therefore if you search "Le FixYa Games" or "FYG Fix" you can see that am trying to get some old games up and running, so with this launch box tools, it'll make things easier for most gamers to access both dos games and old windows games. There are chances that these old games may work again. And if you are able to integrate an automount feature for windows based games...that would be absolute perfect. Though maybe just make it work for Windows CD Rom games instead, as DVD size games which is around 2004 onwards takes up some space. But honestly, i'd love to have these automount features, maybe I can even do a video on how to run these games and integrate it into your launchbox to run with it. I also found a couple of games not working properly, like City Of Lost Children, Batman Forever The Arcade Game, and am trying to fix it too. If you need me to do some testing, let me know as well. Maybe I can show u the error and some fixes via youtube when these dos games are installed in launchbox. Cheers! Can't wait to see the premium version!Laugh