LaunchBox Community Forums

why are titles that start with numbers ordered last when arranged by title?

AndromedaToast

Yeah, that's tricky, but it has something to do with wanting "Thief 2" to come after "Thief: The Dark Project", or similar. Granted, yes, the sorting needs more customization options and perhaps some tweaking. In the mean time, you can use the Sort Title field to override the default sort.

I figured it was something like that... That reminds me of how file sorting in File Explorer has evolved over the years. I found this article that's pretty interesting. Windows Confidential: The Evolution of Sorting http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh475812.aspx I liked this part:
As a result, when Windows 95 sorted file names for display in Windows Explorer, it would put file139 ahead of file20. This is perfectly logical from a computer programmer’s point of view. It’s also completely counter-intuitive to normal human beings—thus proving that computer programmers are not normal human beings.
Like how normal human beings start counting at one, but programmers start counting at zero :) What are your thoughts about sorting titles that begin with "The"? I've noticed before that the venerable Winamp used to sort bands that started with "The" not in the T's and instead striped out the "The." So "Rolling Stones" and "The Rolling Stones" were both found in the R's. It's something I've always appreciated, although I never realized it wasn't an option... as in, they hard-coded it to do that, leaving some people uncomfortable about its implementation. It would obviously be better if they gave you an option to turn that on or off. Here's a thread of some users discussing it and people's support or objections to it: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=346148 FWIW