LaunchBox Community Forums

Some Suggestions

odeonx

Hello Launchbox community! First of all I would like to thank and congratulate the development of this application. It's something I was looking for a while and it was very comforting to find it. Taking into account the spirit of the forum, I took the liberty of adding to my proposals, those made by other users that I find interesting. I saw that many of these things have already been taken into consideration for a future release. It would be interesting to have a list of points in development. Surely the testers may have access to something like this, but for the rest of users would also be interesting to have this information. Proposals: 1. Language pack for the application. If you require someone to translate it to Spanish count with me! 2. Support for other sources of metadata. It's a shame that you can not include MobyGames, which seems to me the best source of information. Archive.org may be an alternative? I also propose that the community of LaunchBox devote an effort to complete the source is determined to be the best. It would be thegamesdb? 3. Alternatives to display the games on the main screen in addition to the covers (the different views proposed by Etock library). These alternatives could be banners (proposed by Xananax and Param), text only (proposed by p.bizzy and scree), the cover without the text, screenshots, etc. Basically have the option to display any type of image you have. 4. Add additional types of images such titlescreen, console image, media (proposed by bd000 and p.bizzy). Add the possibility of multi value selection on "add image" (proposed by haniobaid). 5. Support for videos on the details section (and perhaps on the main screen instead of the covers?) (Proposed by p.bizzy, Etock and bd000) Support for Emumovies (proposed by Etock). 6. Add the fields of "language", "players" (2 players, multiplayers, proposed by Rufus, AnUnusedMoniker and AndromedaToast) and "region" (USA, JAPAN, EUROPE). 7. Importing libraries from Origin, Gog, Desura, uPlay, etc. 8. Custom playlists and custom fields (proposed by bd000, Oussama, tazrex and KyaeroSaber). 9. Using Fullscreen options and Autohotkey properly configured, you can claim a steam's big picture mode similar interface. It would be excellent to further refine these having to steam as an example, especially if you develop an integration with raspberry pi.... wow !!!Laugh I think they might have an opportunity here to increase your income! 10. On left sidebar, suffix each entry with the number of items (proposed by haniobaid and ps4isthefuture). That's all for now, thanks again, and please forgive my english !! Greetings !!!

Thank you odeonx, and welcome! 1. I do have this planned, but it will be a significant effort, and believe it or not you're the first to volunteer to translate. Still, that is great to hear; I'll bump the language packs up on my list. :) 2. MobyGames does not want to share their data (existing scrapers do this against their will), and thus scraping the web is the only way to do it. Unfortunately I'm not sure MobyGames will ever happen due to their policies. However, more scrapers are certainly planned. 3. All is planned. 4. Good idea on the new image types, noted. 5. Planned. 6. Region is new, added to my list. 7. Planned. 8. Planned. 9. Planned and in development. ;) 10. Already implemented in the premium version. Thanks again odeonx! :)

odeonx said Hello Launchbox community! First of all I would like to thank and congratulate the development of this application. It's something I was looking for a while and it was very comforting to find it. Taking into account the spirit of the forum, I took the liberty of adding to my proposals, those made by other users that I find interesting. I saw that many of these things have already been taken into consideration for a future release. It would be interesting to have a list of points in development. Surely the testers may have access to something like this, but for the rest of users would also be interesting to have this information. Proposals: 1. Language pack for the application. If you require someone to translate it to Spanish count with me! 2. Support for other sources of metadata. It's a shame that you can not include MobyGames, which seems to me the best source of information. Archive.org may be an alternative? I also propose that the community of LaunchBox devote an effort to complete the source is determined to be the best. It would be thegamesdb? 3. Alternatives to display the games on the main screen in addition to the covers (the different views proposed by Etock library). These alternatives could be banners (proposed by Xananax and Param), text only (proposed by p.bizzy and scree), the cover without the text, screenshots, etc. Basically have the option to display any type of image you have. 4. Add additional types of images such titlescreen, console image, media (proposed by bd000 and p.bizzy). Add the possibility of multi value selection on "add image" (proposed by haniobaid). 5. Support for videos on the details section (and perhaps on the main screen instead of the covers?) (Proposed by p.bizzy, Etock and bd000) Support for Emumovies (proposed by Etock). 6. Add the fields of "language", "players" (2 players, multiplayers, proposed by Rufus, AnUnusedMoniker and AndromedaToast) and "region" (USA, JAPAN, EUROPE). 7. Importing libraries from Origin, Gog, Desura, uPlay, etc. 8. Custom playlists and custom fields (proposed by bd000, Oussama, tazrex and KyaeroSaber). 9. Using Fullscreen options and Autohotkey properly configured, you can claim a steam's big picture mode similar interface. It would be excellent to further refine these having to steam as an example, especially if you develop an integration with raspberry pi.... wow !!!Laugh I think they might have an opportunity here to increase your income! 10. On left sidebar, suffix each entry with the number of items (proposed by haniobaid and ps4isthefuture). That's all for now, thanks again, and please forgive my english !! Greetings !!!
Thank you very much for joining the forums and taking your time to write all this out. So yea, you said it yourself, a lot of what you want is already planned. But its still nice to see which ideas should go higher up on the list. The more people that want a specific feature I would assume the higher on the list it goes. Adding more info and media for each game has been discussed and were still trying to figure out the best way to do all of that. My suggestion was for it to stream data in. This way its not taking up a ton of HDD space. Multiple Language Support I am sure is on Jason's list. Its just that He and I primarily speak English, and so far so has the community. I'll talk to him about what it will take to translate the program. As for scrapers. Jason originally chose TheGamesDB because it was easy to implement with their APIl and They had a license that allowed us to essentially take the information their website has. We added Wikipedia next after he realized that TDGD just isn't comprehensive. That took a lot to get implemented even with its API and its severely broken. And of course, most Wiki sites run with the license of free information so there was no problem there. MobyGames is a tricky site to mine data from, and by design. When ever they make changes to the site the D-Fend Reloaded developer has to change code in the program a lot. Regardless of if they don't mind sharing their information, they make it hard to mine for. We would actually love to have GameFaq's be our go-to site. They have a ton of information all of the time about every game I throw at it. Similar issue with MobyGames however, how do we mine that data effectively. There are several more open websites we are looking at, and it seems that we are going to have to just use multiple sites in conjunction with each other to most likely get the data we want properly. Or, create our own comprehensive database that serves only LB. Both of which are very hard. We plan to do a Steam Big Picture type mode... I think? Jason and I talked about creating one, but he questioned if it would be useful. If you or anyone else thinks it would be, please let us know. We do also have plans to replace the default LB image, the one that shows up when you have no image. Probably with one of the console. Then to create new, smaller images icons to signify different things with an opacity setting on top of the images so that you know the console, possibly favorite, amount of players and other things you choose to show on top of the images, so you know things at a glance. If we did go down this route, it would be an option that we have the user choose to turn on or off however. At least this is what I pitched to Jason. We do want to have a system in place to help import from other services like GOG and Origin. Getting the new DOS importer to get going was hard though, so we ask that everyone give us time in this regard. As for custom lists, technically we have a method of doing that now, you just need to be a premium user. People keep asking for a more robust version of this, and I think that's what were going to turn the custom filter in to more or less, but I still see it as being a premium feature. Along with some other stuff in this post that I've mentioned. Thank you again for showing interest in LaunchBox. It means a lot to the both of us.