LaunchBox Community Forums

The VOID: A Virtual Entertainment Center - You move around shooting things while using VR Gear!

CadetStimpy

Unfortunately, it won't be in operation until early next year, and only in Utah, (near Pleasant Grove) for now. If this company's endeavor pans-out, it could be a great location for the 1st Annual LaunchBox Symposium! Smile Guests will be able to enter a "game pod," wearing a custom-made "Rapture" HMD (head mounted display) and vest, to provide 3-D visuals, sound, tactile response (called "haptic feedback") and location tracking. The facilities will be equipped to simulate changes in elevation, vibrations, heat and cold sensations, moisture, and simulated liquids and smells. Vest.jpg Kill-Em-1.jpg The simulations will range from fantasy forests to alien planets, the company said. Co-op and multiplayer options will be available, and the gameplay will be family-friendly. Watch the video that's here! The company's Blog.

I believe it could be way more fun than a regular amusement park, too. All those FPS's you play from a chair would be transformed if you were actually bumping into and/or tripping over stuff as you're running away from some horrendous monster or a horde of evil super-Ninja's! What, are you kiddin' me? The possiblilites are crazy! If you watched the video, you saw that amusement ride type chair that was thrashing you all over the place while simulating rapid combat flight maneuvers. Tricky flying would be much more difficult - but way more realistic - in your TIE Fighter if you were being 'beat-up' in the cockpit as you were doin' some serious bobbin' & weavin'! Smile Perhaps these Virtual Entertainment Centers could be somewhat vast (you could put a lot of stuff in a dirigible hanger! Laugh), as they might need less money for insurance liability (compared to some giant roller-coaster). In here, they could put nets where you might fall off a cliff or building during a pursuit. Laugh Structure-for-VR-Gaming-Center.jpg The whole adventure could be hours of Jurassic World, or whatever! The largest significant draw-back I see to these games, is that in an armchair you don't usually get winded from endless running, but if you actually had to do all that running... LaughLaugh. Maybe something like Amnesia where you hide in fear from dangerous ghouls roaming the hallways, or Assassin's Creed, with lots of stealth movement and plenty of lurking, would be better suited to my endurance level. Laugh