LaunchBox Community Forums

Transferring save states

DOS76

I went on a road trip today and started playing Phantasy Star on my Android gaming phone and got some progress now I am trying to access and use the save states that I started on the phone on my PC. I've copied them over but I am unsure on how (or if) I can use them in Kega. Anyone have any experience with doing this.

Some saves will not carry over from Emulator to Emulator. For example, ZSnes saves / save states are not the same as BSnes saves / save states and they needed to be converted; this was possible only because someone found out how though. Fact is, there is no defacto solution. If they are the same emulator or the save is compatible, just copy it over the same way. Save states / saves either go in the folder where the rom is kept, either a 'State' and 'Save' folder, or in the case of RetroArch in the Systems folder. Generally, they need to be the same name as the rom. However, this isn't the case for some emulators too, like PCSX2. It uses generated number strings for Save States.

Yeah the MDemu for Android is creating states .gp and a .srm and Kega is looking for .ss or .ss? (which I can't do because windows won't let you use ? in the extension). Really blows but what can you do. I guess I can either start over on the game or only play it when I am on the go.

Try RetroArch for Android. There is a setting in RA that you can assign per core. You can let the core use RA's method of save / save states or the Cores method of Save / Save states. Also, just changing the extension won't necessarily work either. Some times that is all that really changes, but other times they have different methods for saving the save state and the data inside is jumbled differently. .srm on the other hand is very common. I see that with several emulators. I don't remember if that is a save on its own, but I see that with the actual save, not save state.