LaunchBox Community Forums

Remote Server Returned an Error (499)

thebatusi

I am very interested in trying LaunchBox! From the YouTube videos it looks like a program that will help me clean up a old library of ROMS that I have had for a long long time. I need metadata... Cant get enough of it. I have OCD when it comes to my media collections. With that said I figured I would give this as try. Figured a good place to start would be with NES ROMS. Figured it was popular enough in the day that meta would be abundant for games. I started to import the ROMS and everyone of them returned this "Could not download file. The remote server returned error (499). Request has been forbidden by antivirus." error. Searched the forum with no success, so figured I would see if anyone has any ideas. I stopped the import after 200 ROMS because all of them came back this way and it was taking FOREVER! It appears that I am getting metadata (Title / Date released / Description) just not the art side of things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Kaspersky for my antivirus needs if that matters. But I have allowed LaunchBox full access for everything, put it in the trusted group, and do not have it scanning the program. Thanks again in advance...

Hi thebatusi, welcome. Typically, there's not much I can do to circumvent over-zealous anti-virus programs. Have you tried temporarily disabling Kaspersky completely? That error message is pretty clear, so I'm guessing Kaspersky is blocking the web request separately from the app itself.

Cant turn off Kaspersky on this machine. Not an option unfortunately. I have good knowledge of what needs to be set to make Kaspersky block or allow scanning and network traffic. Launchbox is completely ignored and all traffic is also. I would never do this, but I have had these ROMS for 8 - 10 years so I know they are clean. Tomorrow I will take a closer look at programs running in the background during meta importing and see if there is a culprit that I was unaware of. I posted to see if there any known issues with this error and a possible fix. Its all good I like a challenge and when I get it figured out I will post what I came up with. Thanks for the replies!

RESOLVED! (kind of) Kaspersky has an "anti-banner" feature. After digging thru my firewall and vpn settings it was Kaspersky. Turning off anti-banner allows images to be downloaded. Someone with more knowledge than I have would be needed to explain why downloading metadata would cause Kaspersky to be triggered to block it. I use other programs, for other media formats, to get metadata. Kaspersky never got involved. Anyway, now back to checking this program out! It appears that I might need to be patient with getting the initial library done.

Nice! Thanks for getting that one figured out. Why on earth that would prevent image downloads from TheGamesDB, I have no idea; doesn't make sense. At least now when people Google this topic, they'll end up here with a solution. http://support.kaspersky.com/7859 Apparently "anti-banner" is intended to block apps from showing ads within the apps, so it does make sense, I guess. It probably detects the word "banner" and gets all over-zealous. These anti-virus apps are the bane of my existence as a developer.

Yep real head scratcher on that one... I figured the word banner probably got Kaspersky twitching. Funny thing Kaspersky tech support told me not to worry about it. Just don't click on any banners and I'll be "FINE". They have no interest in trying to figure out why. On a side note I read in a thread a mention (not a descriptive thing) about a 4G memory patch? Has this been incorporated into later builds? Other than that mention I do not find anything else on the subject. It's like watching paint dry getting the initial metadata downloaded. 240 NES roms took many hours to complete. That's just a small portion of my collection. Not even a complaint, if launchbox can put meta with all these ROMS I've got all the time in the world!

Jason Carr said I don't recall discussing a 4G memory patch, but of course I forget stuff all the time. ;) Are you talking about patching LaunchBox itself? I don't fully understand the purpose, but it sounds like it's only for 32-bit machines?
I mentioned that patching exe's was possible. This was before you could change the amount of RAM LB uses and If i recall... which I honestly barely do, I thought it COULD help with something completely unrelated. It allows programs which aren't fully optimized for 64bit operating systems to utilize more RAM.

When I read that I wasn't sure if launchbox was utilizing all the system RAM that was available. With your response I decided to take a closer look in the tools -> options settings. Found the answer and tweaked my available RAM. I was looking around to see if there were any speed hacks or tricks out there. Thanks a bunch... Be back in a few!