LaunchBox Community Forums

Artwork for games with same name and different region

sylandro

In my ROM collection, there are many games that share the same Title but belong to different Regions. When I add artwork for these "duplicate" titles, they apply to all titles with the same name. Since each region has different cover art, I'd like to keep separate artwork depending of the region. Is changing the title to something like "title" - ("region") the only way to solve this? I thought the ROM importer omitted these annotations in order to prefer adding this information in the metadata instead of the title.

Hi @sylandro, LaunchBox is supposed to append the unique id of the game to a game's image file names when it detects that there is more than one game with the same title for a specific platform. I trust that this is working, though I haven't tested it recently. That said, if you manually move images over to the folder, this of course won't automatically work. It would probably be worth creating a decent test scenario for this. I believe if you edit a game, it should be assigning the unique game IDs to the image files. The game IDs are GUIDs that look like a serious of random letters, numbers, and dashes.

Hi, looking at the Images folder I see that the GUID is appended at the end of the title, but for some reason it seems that both regions share the same GUID. These are the exact steps I've taken to replicate my issue: 1. Use ROM importer to add the games 8 Eyes (USA) and 8 Eyes (Japan), for the Nintendo platform. Both are added as 8 Eyes. 2. Edit each game and add its respective region manually. 3. Edit the USA version and add a random front cover from your hard drive. You'll see that the image is applied to the japanese version. 4. Edit the japanese version, erase the USA front cover and manually add another one from your hard drive. Now the new image is used for the USA version (the cache may show another one but that's only the cache). 5. Check the images folder. You'll see that both games share the same id (8 Eyes.06077143-b718-40a0-bbc9-cd70d08212de), and every time the front cover is changed on a different region, it is overwritten.

• 6 years later...