LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch PSX Issue

finagle69

Firstly: Hello! I recently started using LB and loved it so much that I purchased it. :) I'm trying to use RetroArch as much as possible as it's what I'm used to coming from RetroPie, and I have a custom shader I've come to love. I have an issue when trying to launch any PS1 game via the LB browser after playing a game from a different platform (core). Basically, RA will start and be set on the previously used core. If I played using FCEUmm previously, then that's what loads and the PS1 game doesn't play, of course. This happens no matter what platform I try prior to trying a PS1 game. The cores I have installed in RA and appropriately called out in LB are: mupen64plus_libretro.dll fceumm_libretro.dll vba_next_libretro.dll genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll mednafen_psx_libretro.dll snes9x_next_libretro.dll The workaround I have to follow is to open RA manually, then I can either select core, or open a game from the ROM dir or Game History in RA. After that's done, it seems like RA knows the last core used is med-psx. I can then exit RA, open a PS1 game in LB and it works just fine. I can then open any number of PS1 games without issue. I can also go to any other platform and open their games, no problem. But then if I go back to PS1, the cycle repeats and I have to do the manual RA business. I hope I've stated this clearly enough, and hope that you all might have some insight. Also for reference: RA version: a nightly from less than a week ago, the full download Med-psx core version: 0.9.36.5 from the latest full cores dl in the nightlies section of libretro libretro site has been down the last couple days, so I can't check for any newer versions. Thanks, John.

finagle69 said Firstly: Hello! I recently started using LB and loved it so much that I purchased it. :) I'm trying to use RetroArch as much as possible as it's what I'm used to coming from RetroPie, and I have a custom shader I've come to love. I have an issue when trying to launch any PS1 game via the LB browser after playing a game from a different platform (core). Basically, RA will start and be set on the previously used core. If I played using FCEUmm previously, then that's what loads and the PS1 game doesn't play, of course. This happens no matter what platform I try prior to trying a PS1 game. The cores I have installed in RA and appropriately called out in LB are: mupen64plus_libretro.dll fceumm_libretro.dll vba_next_libretro.dll genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll mednafen_psx_libretro.dll snes9x_next_libretro.dll The workaround I have to follow is to open RA manually, then I can either select core, or open a game from the ROM dir or Game History in RA. After that's done, it seems like RA knows the last core used is med-psx. I can then exit RA, open a PS1 game in LB and it works just fine. I can then open any number of PS1 games without issue. I can also go to any other platform and open their games, no problem. But then if I go back to PS1, the cycle repeats and I have to do the manual RA business. I hope I've stated this clearly enough, and hope that you all might have some insight. Also for reference: RA version: a nightly from less than a week ago, the full download Med-psx core version: 0.9.36.5 from the latest full cores dl in the nightlies section of libretro libretro site has been down the last couple days, so I can't check for any newer versions. Thanks, John.
Hm... I can have RetroArch switch cores just fine, but I am not sure about PS1. I can't stand the PS1 core. Can I see a screenshot of your RetroArch edit box? Or rather does it have the proper syntax? -L "cores/core name/" Cores being where its located in the RetroArch root and core name being its specific name. Also, the " " matter as well does the -L not being in it.

Right. For me, LB forces the changing of cores just fine from NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Genesis without any problems at all. But if from any of those cores, I then try to play a PS1 game, that's when the issues start. The following are the info boxes for PSX.

finagle69 said Right. For me, LB forces the changing of cores just fine from NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Genesis without any problems at all. But if from any of those cores, I then try to play a PS1 game, that's when the issues start. The following are the info boxes for PSX.
That's strange... nothing seems off. You can load PS1 games just fine out of LaunchBox? Can you try one of the other PS1 cores? Not that you need to stick with it, but just to see if it switches. Worse case scenario, grab epsxe 1.9.xx or which ever the latest is. It's pretty nice and you can do shaders with it as well as increase the internal resolution of the games like PCSX2 and Dolphin.

Are there other PS1 cores for RA? If so, what are they called? I don't see any in the latest core pack that jump out at me as PS1 cores. I have ePSXe as well, but I don't think RA shaders will work with it. At least, I don't know how to if they are.

finagle69 said Are there other PS1 cores for RA? If so, what are they called? I don't see any in the latest core pack that jump out at me as PS1 cores. I have ePSXe as well, but I don't think RA shaders will work with it. At least, I don't know how to if they are.
They might not be RA specific shaders, but it does have shader support. Other PS1 cores don't seem to be in the latest (I have it as well) but looking back at an older 1.0.0.2 pack I see several, thought I can't confirm their compatability and performance. pcsx_rearmed_interpreter_libretro pcsx_rearmed_libretro pcsx_rearmed_libretro_neon I am just wondering if its that specific core or any PS1 cores because we know you can switch to others. Dumb question, but all your BIOS and etc are setup correctly?

I'd never given much effort to doing shaders on ePSXe until just now. Trying to find the shaders that people say are the best is like pulling teeth! In the past, I've played games on ePSXe by upping the internal res and making it very pretty. But now I'm on an authentic 'out of the box' kick. RA has some stellar and easy shader support, so that's why I'm trying to use that. I'll try downloading the latest stable of RA, which I think is 1.0.0.2 and its Cores. Hopefully those you mention will be in there. And yep, I've got the 3 BIOS files that mednafen requires all setup. Every PS1 game I have plays just fine on it. Edit: Just looked in the latest stable 1.0.0.2 and it doesn't have the dll files for those 3 cores. Could you zip them and put them up on some cloud download site?

FIXED IT: If you look at this screen grab, you'll notice I changed all my Platform names to be something more friendly and shorter (like Nintendo instead of Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)). I also changed 'Sony Playstation' to 'Playstation 1'. On a hunch, I changed it to 'Playstation 1' in the emu manager, and sure enough, that makes it hook correctly. Strange, as I don't think I changed any of the others. Edit: Maybe as a feature suggestion for a Beta version would be the inclusion of Platform Aliases for this very reason!

finagle69 said FIXED IT: If you look at this screen grab, you'll notice I changed all my Platform names to be something more friendly and shorter (like Nintendo instead of Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)). I also changed 'Sony Playstation' to 'Playstation 1'. On a hunch, I changed it to 'Playstation 1' in the emu manager, and sure enough, that makes it hook correctly. Strange, as I don't think I changed any of the others. Edit: Maybe as a feature suggestion for a Beta version would be the inclusion of Platform Aliases for this very reason!
Well we tried to keep it to the defaults because thats what the sites used and imported. I should have noticed it :P

Fair enough. I just like things to be a tad more minimal, more in line with what I actually call them IRL. I thank you for your help in this, though. Great little tool you guys have here. Question: Are the Beta versions open for any registered user to try/use? Or is it for a designated group of folks? Thanks again!

finagle69 said Fair enough. I just like things to be a tad more minimal, more in line with what I actually call them IRL. I thank you for your help in this, though. Great little tool you guys have here. Question: Are the Beta versions open for any registered user to try/use? Or is it for a designated group of folks? Thanks again!
I don't think its designated anymore. In the LaunchBox options there should be a check box to allow LB to see the beta updates. When you update and the dialogue pops up, give LB some time to close before continuing it or it will say it can't access specific files. Also, and Alias system would be kind of nice. I could minimize the left sidebar so maybe I can open the right sidebar and keep the same amount of titles shown for my show RNG.

SentaiBrad said
finagle69 said Fair enough. I just like things to be a tad more minimal, more in line with what I actually call them IRL. I thank you for your help in this, though. Great little tool you guys have here. Question: Are the Beta versions open for any registered user to try/use? Or is it for a designated group of folks? Thanks again!
I don't think its designated anymore. In the LaunchBox options there should be a check box to allow LB to see the beta updates. When you update and the dialogue pops up, give LB some time to close before continuing it or it will say it can't access specific files. Also, and Alias system would be kind of nice. I could minimize the left sidebar so maybe I can open the right sidebar and keep the same amount of titles shown for my show RNG.
Excellent, I'll set mine up to grab beta. Thanks for that. And yes! Having more screen real estate is always a good thing. Some may even want to name them their short names (NES,SNES,N64, etc.) To each their own. :)

Glad to hear you got this resolved, finagle, and thanks for the purchase. :) LaunchBox does have a platform lookup list that attempts to identify the platform from many different options. It looks like maybe "Playstation 1" is missing; I'll add that to the list. But that's why it works for most, but didn't work there. Thanks for that.