LaunchBox Community Forums

Better Support for Multiple Versions

MetaKnight

Hey, I recently picked up LaunchBox since I've long wanted a nice Front End for my collection, and enjoyed it so far and picked up the Premium version (On a different email account.) However, there are a few features I'd like to request. The biggest and most important one is better support for multiple versions of games. http://s18.postimg.org/ussu1u94p/SNES_Roms.png As you can see, there are multiple versions of a Game like Donkey Kong Country 2. I and I'm sure other avid retro gamers with roms have these, and they include multiple languages, older and newer versions, fan translations and romhacks, and more. Now, in current launchbox, if I were to add the whole folder, each one of these would be treated like a different game, and I'd get multiple duplicates appear in the menu. http://s21.postimg.org/pb6r81y9j/SNES_Roms_2.png The current solution to this is adding one version of the game initially, and later adding multiple versions via "additional applications". However, this process can only be done one at a time. Just this one game alone took several minutes to add each version, and I also have to add the original one for it to appear on the menu. There just has to be a better way to handle this. I'd like to be able to associate multiple ROMs with a single game and label them accordingly. I'd also like if I could change the default one, or set it so before the game launches it asks me which version I want to launch. Another feature I'd like to see along with this is better support for multiple regions. I play a lot of Japanese games, and would love if there was a way to label games by their region (Japan, US, and European). I'd like to label games with what language they support, as well as multiple release dates (JP Release, US Release), multiple titles for different regions, multiple publishers for regions, multiple boxart, just better support for games with multiple region releases in general. And finally, two minor things: Currently in the Details panel, Developer and Publisher are on the same line, I'd like if you could set them to appear on separate lines. Also, the name appearing on a licensed copy in the top has to go. It looks off, and if I want to send screenshots to online friends or just post it in general of my Launchbox, I have to take the time to edit out my name, and I don't think I'd ever want to record footage of me using Launchbox when my real name is there for everyone to see. I understand that it's a small little copy protection thing, but can't it just appear in a small menu under settings saying the name of who it's licensed too? The way it currently is deters me from wanting to do things I wouldn't think twice about doing with other programs. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this and looking forward to 5.0!

MetaKnight said Hey, I recently picked up LaunchBox since I've long wanted a nice Front End for my collection, and enjoyed it so far and picked up the Premium version (On a different email account.) However, there are a few features I'd like to request. The biggest and most important one is better support for multiple versions of games. http://s18.postimg.org/ussu1u94p/SNES_Roms.png As you can see, there are multiple versions of a Game like Donkey Kong Country 2. I and I'm sure other avid retro gamers with roms have these, and they include multiple languages, older and newer versions, fan translations and romhacks, and more. Now, in current launchbox, if I were to add the whole folder, each one of these would be treated like a different game, and I'd get multiple duplicates appear in the menu. http://s21.postimg.org/pb6r81y9j/SNES_Roms_2.png The current solution to this is adding one version of the game initially, and later adding multiple versions via "additional applications". However, this process can only be done one at a time. Just this one game alone took several minutes to add each version, and I also have to add the original one for it to appear on the menu. There just has to be a better way to handle this. I'd like to be able to associate multiple ROMs with a single game and label them accordingly. I'd also like if I could change the default one, or set it so before the game launches it asks me which version I want to launch. Another feature I'd like to see along with this is better support for multiple regions. I play a lot of Japanese games, and would love if there was a way to label games by their region (Japan, US, and European). I'd like to label games with what language they support, as well as multiple release dates (JP Release, US Release), multiple titles for different regions, multiple publishers for regions, multiple boxart, just better support for games with multiple region releases in general. And finally, two minor things: Currently in the Details panel, Developer and Publisher are on the same line, I'd like if you could set them to appear on separate lines. Also, the name appearing on a licensed copy in the top has to go. It looks off, and if I want to send screenshots to online friends or just post it in general of my Launchbox, I have to take the time to edit out my name, and I don't think I'd ever want to record footage of me using Launchbox when my real name is there for everyone to see. I understand that it's a small little copy protection thing, but can't it just appear in a small menu under settings saying the name of who it's licensed too? The way it currently is deters me from wanting to do things I wouldn't think twice about doing with other programs. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this and looking forward to 5.0!
So LB will see and import multiple versions of a game, you just need to manually rename that part, or use a single version which is what I had to do. As far as I know however, more support should be coming I just don't know when. As far as the name at the top of LB, that can not come off. However, you can talk to Jason to see if you can get the name changed possibly. I get the not wanting to have your real name there. I personally record LB, but I put the program in Fullscreen (F11) and it hides the title bar. Even if it didn't I personally don't mind, but I totally see why others would. So that could be a quick fix for now.

Hi @MetaKnight, welcome. Thanks for all the feedback; I'll add it to my list. I can see how importing a collection of games for all regions without duplicates could be a real issue. Per the name in the title, I don't typically compromise on that, but if you are planning to use it for recording, I can change it to your YouTube name or whatever. Let me know.