LaunchBox Community Forums

FAYT & Filter for games missing covers

garbanzo

Find-as-you-type would really be a nice feature. In the main screen if I hit F, the selection should jump to games that start with F. Also, it would be nice to be able to quickly filter down to games that are missing covers/metadata. After importing a huge folder of ROMs there are inevitably lots of games that didn't get picked up, so you have to go through and fetch data/pics one at a time. Right now I just scroll through games and find anything that's missing a cover. But a filter would be much quicker. (As an aside, it seems that importing metadata no longer changes the Platform that has already been set for the selected game. Thanks for fixing this!)

Hi @garbanzo, I honestly didn't even know that problem existed until just recently with the platform, but I found it randomly and fixed it on the spot. Find as you type is on my list. Per the missing covers/metadata, this isn't a perfect solution, but you should be able to filter by TheGamesDB.net ID: None, which should at least tell you which games didn't automatically populate with metadata/images from TGDB.

That's actually a great solution for finding games without metadata, thanks! And FWIW, I just ran through 46 games that the scraper didn't automatically find, and 90% of the time the first option on the list was the correct game. It seems the scraper gets confused when the game title has punctuation (particularly : and !). The rest were Japanese titles or unlicensed/demo games that got through my filters.

Yeah, the trick with the imports is you really need there to be zero false positives. I'd rather have it not find a game than find an incorrect one, so I lean on the safe side. I've tweaked that matching process a lot, but of course there's always more tweaking to do. I'll look into : and !. :)

Thanks Jason! I understand that it's better to err on the side of caution. But I do look forward to the day that LB supports user plugins so we can scrape form more sites. Out of 1602 Nintendo DS ROMs, nearly 1000 were not found by the scraper. This is going to take a while to clean up :)

Yeah, I expect that a lot of it is because of missing games on TGDB. But yeah, I know it's far from ideal. Fixing all the metadata gaps is pretty high on my list right now, and I'm convinced that the best way to do it is to create our own database and let users easily upload their entire libraries to it. So hopefully I can focus on that soon.

• 1 year later...