LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving a game to another platform and transfer media with it - Possible?

CADScott

I am wanting to transfer some ScummVM games from one platform (Windows and MSDOS) to another platform (ScummVM). When the ScummVM games are scraped they come in in either windows or DOS, and I did not notice this at import. It is easy to change the platform of the game, but this does not move the media associated with each game. I am not too concerned about the images, because they are easy enough to rescrape, but all the other media (Music, manuals, videos etc) would be a pain, as much of this I have customised. Even if I do rescrape the media I will be then left with unneeded data in the videos, manuals and music area that will not be needed, and is not cleaned up when doing an image cleanup. Is there any way to move the game from one platform to another and also move the media with it to the new platform?

CADScott said I am wanting to transfer some ScummVM games from one platform (Windows and MSDOS) to another platform (ScummVM). When the ScummVM games are scraped they come in in either windows or DOS, and I did not notice this at import. It is easy to change the platform of the game, but this does not move the media associated with each game. I am not too concerned about the images, because they are easy enough to rescrape, but all the other media (Music, manuals, videos etc) would be a pain, as much of this I have customised. Even if I do rescrape the media I will be then left with unneeded data in the videos, manuals and music area that will not be needed, and is not cleaned up when doing an image cleanup. Is there any way to move the game from one platform to another and also move the media with it to the new platform?
In your LaunchBox install is a Music, Video, Manual and Images folder. Inside there are folders with the platform names. If you're moving an entire platform just rename the folder to the new platform. Or you can move the single files on their own as well. There will be an easier way to do this in the future, but for now it has to be done manually.

In your LaunchBox install is a Music, Video, Manual and Images folder. Inside there are folders with the platform names. If you're moving an entire platform just rename the folder to the new platform. Or you can move the single files on their own as well. There will be an easier way to do this in the future, but for now it has to be done manually.
That is what I was afraid of. I am not moving a whole platform, only a few games from the platforms into another one, so I will have to do it manually. Would there be any way to export the games using the LaunchBox Zip Package, and then reimport them back to a different platform? I have not used this feature, so I am not sure what media goes with the zip package.

I just experimented with the LaunchBox Zip Package, and it does not quite work unfortunately. It does not export the video files with the package, but it does get everything else I need. It also imports the game back into the same platform as it originally came from, but this would be easy to fix by manually editing the XML file of the exported games in the zip file. This may save a little time as it brings most of the media I need straight in, but still does not solve the problem of having unused data in the video, music and manuals folders. @Jason, could the Clean Up Images tool be expanded to include all other media, that would be quite useful I would think.