LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Help - what am I doing wrong?

tomahawk51

I got RA to work from LB for Gameboy Advance games - so I know LB>RA on my system works. My next goal is TurboGrafx 16. I got RA to work standalone with TurboGrafx 16 games, but not from LB. This is where I need some help When I click on a game and PLAY, I just get a spinning cursor that never does anything. Is there anything I've done wrong? 2015-07-18-07_58_42-LaunchBox.png2015-07-18-07_59_51-LaunchBox.png

So as far as I know, the PC Engine cores require a BIOS, but even when I had the BIOS there, and several different versions of it, it never wanted to work right for me. Well... some games did, some didn't. Air Bonk was one that did not. Honestly, skip RetroAch for PC Engine consoles. Grab Turbo Engine for these reasons. RA is good... for some emulators and just because some work also doesn't mean its perfect for that system either. In this case, RA isn't even a question of being good or not.

SentaiBrad said ... Grab Turbo Engine for these reasons...
This is highly valuable guidance for an emulation novice (me) - thanks for this advice. But after a few hours I'm still not there :( . Maybe you can help further? If not I'll take this to the Turbo Engine 16 forum. So, TurboEngine is working well outside of LB but I haven't been able to get it going from LB. I believe that this prompt may be the reason. Everytime I open Turbo Engine 16 (whether from Windows .exe or calling it via Command Prompt), I get this message about CDROM drive. I'm using a pc with no optical drive, and all I care to load are the TurboGrafx16 ROMs (not CDs like .iso/.bin ...). Is there something I can do to supress this prompt, which I assume will help me load from LB? Within the app's config...or a command prompt command? In TurboEngine, I did get a CD ROM bios and associated it in the paths. I also selected CD Image Driver, but it seems not to notice that. I even installed VirtualClone Drive hoping I could trick it (but couldn't). Like I said, I've been researching for hours...but nothing yet seems to help. Given how troublesome TGfx16 is, I wonder how NeoGeo and Arcade will be for me in the future! 2015-07-18-23_06_29-SlySoft-Download-_-AnyDVD-CloneDVD-CloneCD-GameJackal-Any-DVD-Clone-DVD-Cl.png2015-07-18-23_17_17-TurboEngine032.png

So, TurboGrafx emulation gets really tricky. TurboGrafx-16 and CD... are very different. You should still use a BIOS with TurboEngine, but you shouldn't necessarily use it for Disc based games. When trying to load them you get a hard error. The emulator saying It will load the image driver automatically is a formality but as far as I know can't be disabled. The intent, If I get this right, is that you are meant to put your PCECD games in to your PC. It would then read and process them. You could do this with PS1 and PS2 presumably as well. A virtual CD drive might work with TurboEngine. Mount the .cue and then load TurboEngine? Or see if it will recognize it at all. I don't expect the formality to go away no matter what you do. I just accepted it sadly. It's really not worth that fight. Quite honestly, the PC Engine is almost completely ignored at this point. Unless recent versions of Retro Arch have gone a long way to making its core better, if your regular Turbo Grafx 16 games are running, just go with it for now. I have a few alternate emulators, and one of them wont even load any roms. .cue or .pce. Edit: Wow, I did get my alternate emulator to run well for some CD games, but its all dependent on what BIOS you have selected. So it looks some games require a very specific version of BIOS to run. I loaded the basic "CD-ROM System V1.00" and Adams Family loaded. Tried Beyond Shadowgate and it said it said it required a more advanced BIOS. "Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00". So then I tried loading Adams Family with it and it suddenly worked? However, v3.01 wont work at all on discs and no Hue card games loaded period. Aka .pce extension games. This is why I hate PC Engine emulation. Turbo Engine for .pce extension games, albeit with that damn prompt and PCEjin for disc based games. TurboEngine also still does require a BIOS. The same one RetroArch claims it needs. "syscard3". It's... a tad confusing. I'm sorry.