LaunchBox Community Forums

Policy for shareware/episodic titles?

wasili

I am currently adding data for some DOS shareware titles. They often come in episodes and re-releses as complete editions as well. For some, there are db entries for episodes AND the whole game, for others only of one kind. Are there any specific plans how to handle this in the future? I think having entries for both individual episodes and complete editions totally makes sense...

I don't know why someone wouldn't just go for the complete edition? However, yea I think I agree. This was the same conversation, essentially, that we had about re-releases and special editions. It made sense to include the special edition or re-release if it contained actual improvements, changes or additions. Like Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition is a perfect example. Part of me says no, they're probably exactly the same, but. As a counter example I would use Resident Evil Revelations 2. Came out in episodes, but is a full titled game. I would not put that game as episodes then a full game, just a full game as it's all the same exact thing. You also can't even get the entry as a single Episode. When you start the game you start just the game, then inside the game you play each episode like chapters rather then launching Episode 1, Episode 2 separately, so maybe that's the distinction? Back to the Future The Game for example you launch each episode separate from one another. I think I just confused myself more on my answer... anyone else have any thoughts?

Haha ^^ I was mostly thinking about old shareware titles. My reasons why I would keep Episode entries: Some titles might not exist as complete editions, you already own them as episodes or they are available as freeware in this form. In this case I would never buy a new version from gog or steam just for a launcher file that lets me select the episode.....

Well true, if they ONLY ever existed as Shareware, by all means they deserve a spot. This kind of reminds of the DLC discussion too (we do a lot of that around here apparently), and some were saying they also wanted a spot for DLC released for a game. I wonder if something could be applied here? I don't think GOG specifically releases shareware, but I don't think people think of Doom as Doom Shareware version 1, or Episode 1 specifically unless you own it. I am torn, I think it's a great idea, but it contradicts the special edition conversation. It is worth noting for my own internal fight too, that Shareware was also generally under developed. Not behind or intentionally lacking, but kind of similar to an Early Access, but back when it actually meant something different? I am kind of leaning towards, if it is shareware ONLY, then it should get it's own entry. If it has a full release, but also had Shareware we could display that in the Database, like we would display alternate names or dlc listings? If you had the entry in LB, it scans and finds that it's apart of a bigger game, but it's "Doom Episode 1" or what ever it'd be called.

Oh, I do wanna throw out that I am not the final decision maker. I help make decisions, I certainly have my input, but what Jason and the Community want's is what matters. This is just how I see this being handled the best, especially if we're gonna treat DLC in a similar fashion, and this doesn't contradict the Special Edition scenario where the game got a full separate release that is substantial to warrant a different entry.

Maybe just one more word on the kind of shareware I'm talking about: You got the first episode for free (you were allowed to "share" them with your friends) and than you could pay to get the other episodes. Even after owning all episodes you had to start them seperately (they also came on seperate disks, especially in the time of 5.25'' floppy disks). This first episodes were a final product though. If you owned all episodes you owned the whole product, so the distinction between full release and shareware seems wrong to me. After all it's just a form of distribution And as I said, many full version re-releases of famous shareware titles like Commander Keen are still just launchers for the individual episodes running in DOSBOX.