LaunchBox Community Forums

CPU usage over 80%: Core i5 2310

MeioTodo

That's odd... you don't have a giant library. You should certainly be at 10%-20%, if that. Does it ever drop back down? What is the CPU Usage like when you use a new XML? To test that open your LaunchBox folder, create a copy of LaunchBox.xml then delete it after the copy is made. Open LB again and this can test it fresh. If you want to go back to your other XML with all your games you can just rename the copy you made back to LaunchBox.xml. Otherwise I will pass this thread on to Jason to see if he can come up with anything.

SentaiBrad, Thanks for the quick response. I have many games, but few images and do not own videos or sounds.I use a joystick as well. Sometimes, consumption drops to 40%, but is lower. I'm going to upload a video on YouTube and put the link here to display. See you later...

@MeioTodo it's hard to tell exactly, but my guess is this is happening due to the image cache. The image cache runs in the background and works to cache all of the images to disk so that scrolling is faster. However, after the caching is completed, CPU usage should go back down to a minimum. Try turning the image cache off and see if the CPU usage goes back down.

Actually, I did some quick further research. The CPU usage thing is partially caused by the RAM cache, so turning that off might help. But what is happening likely isn't the RAM cache, it's a background process that caches the images to disk at the right sizes so that performance isn't horrible in the list. Once the process is completed, though, CPU usage should go right back down to a minimal level, so you should only be seeing high CPU usage while the cache is generated. The cache generation may take a while, but it should only have to run once. Going forward, only the updated images will regenerate. However, the Refresh All Images option under the Tools menu will force the entire cache to regenerate again. I don't think the process should really take very long, maybe an hour. But just to be sure, try leaving LaunchBox open over night and see if CPU usage is low in the morning.

Jason Carr said Actually, I did some quick further research. The CPU usage thing is partially caused by the RAM cache, so turning that off might help. But what is happening likely isn't the RAM cache, it's a background process that caches the images to disk at the right sizes so that performance isn't horrible in the list. Once the process is completed, though, CPU usage should go right back down to a minimal level, so you should only be seeing high CPU usage while the cache is generated. The cache generation may take a while, but it should only have to run once. Going forward, only the updated images will regenerate. However, the Refresh All Images option under the Tools menu will force the entire cache to regenerate again. I don't think the process should really take very long, maybe an hour. But just to be sure, try leaving LaunchBox open over night and see if CPU usage is low in the morning.
Ok. I'll try and answer it tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Jason Carr said Actually, I did some quick further research. The CPU usage thing is partially caused by the RAM cache, so turning that off might help. But what is happening likely isn't the RAM cache, it's a background process that caches the images to disk at the right sizes so that performance isn't horrible in the list. Once the process is completed, though, CPU usage should go right back down to a minimal level, so you should only be seeing high CPU usage while the cache is generated. The cache generation may take a while, but it should only have to run once. Going forward, only the updated images will regenerate. However, the Refresh All Images option under the Tools menu will force the entire cache to regenerate again. I don't think the process should really take very long, maybe an hour. But just to be sure, try leaving LaunchBox open over night and see if CPU usage is low in the morning.
Solved! Now use no more than 20% and sometimes 10 ~ 0% .Thank you.