LaunchBox Community Forums

Quick and Dirty Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q Monitor Review

Lordmonkus

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/ I just picked up this bad boy right here and let me tell you that it is definitely one fine monitor. If you are you in the market for a significant upgrade from a standard run of the mill monitor and you don't mind dropping the dough I cannot recommend this monitor enough. The one drawback of this monitor is that it is not IPS but because it is a TN panel it is super fast and responsive. IPS vs TN is gonna be a trade off of eye candy vs performance, since I don't do content creation the IPS was not important to me and since I game A LOT I chose the performance. The Acer Predator was the other monitor I was considering in the same price bracket which is an IPS so if you need or prefer IPS that is the monitor to get. I was never an absolute input lag whore and was very pleased with an old 22" Samsung monitor and I could play games just fine with it but this thing is a noticeable upgrade in that department. Controls are super quick and responsive and the G-Sync technology removes all screen tearing making everything just so creamy buttery smooth. Being 27" and a 2560x1440 resolution it takes Retroarchs CRT shaders and makes them look the way they were intended to look. The CRT-Royale shader is regarded as one of the best CRT shaders out there but on a 1080 screen it just was not doing it justice. I used a tweaked version previously and it looked what I thought was pretty good but now I can use the proper version of the shader and OMG! does it look amazing. Bottom line is this. Is it Pricey ? Yeah. Is it worth it ? Like Stone Cold says, "Gimme a HELL YEAH!"