LaunchBox Community Forums

Control with Joystick

dluna33

okay, I don't know if this is the right spot to post but I'll give it a shot. I made a small barcade and setup Launchbox and seems to pick up my games and able to play MAME games with joystick and buttons. Player and coin buttons work and I put in an escape button to exit. Only thing I can't figure out is is it possible to control launchbox with the joystick and buttons? All i can get it to do is go up and down to highlight the game. Or do I need to map a button to actually select the game. I'm learning as I go. I using an IPAC for buttons and joystick. 6 buttons per player. And can Launchbox run full screen so i won't have to use keyboard and mouse anymore? Or do I need bigbox?

BigBox is for media style and cabinet style setups, so you'll need that for complete fullscreen. Under Gamepad/Joystick, does your controller show up as a device? If it doesn't does that change with "Use all attached ontroller's". If not I suspect what your controls use and what LaunchBox is looking for is different. Your controller has it's own internal numbering system for each button and LaunchBox is getting confused. In BigBox you can reassign buttons in the menu though, so if you have a Premium license give that a try, it might work better long term. The best solution would either be to wait for Jason to implement reconfiguring the controller options in LaunchBox or getting a different controller. Or using Xpadder and other programs like that to see if you could get close, but I am unsure if you will.

You should be able to control BigBox fine with the IPAC. I have a similar setup, and I simply changed the buttons programmed in the IPAC to be the same controls as BigBox for navigation, and reassigned the controls in MAME to be the same keys. The IPAC I have only emulates a keyboard, not sure if yours is the same.

CADScott said You should be able to control BigBox fine with the IPAC. I have a similar setup, and I simply changed the buttons programmed in the IPAC to be the same controls as BigBox for navigation, and reassigned the controls in MAME to be the same keys. The IPAC I have only emulates a keyboard, not sure if yours is the same.
Think this is info i need. How did you reassign between both? I thought once buttons are assigned in ipac that's it. I couldnt find documentation on this on ipac site. Thank you so much for the help. Tomorrow ill purchase bigbox and get that going. Then ill have to tacle the buttons.

SentaiBrad said BigBox is for media style and cabinet style setups, so you'll need that for complete fullscreen. Under Gamepad/Joystick, does your controller show up as a device? If it doesn't does that change with "Use all attached ontroller's". If not I suspect what your controls use and what LaunchBox is looking for is different. Your controller has it's own internal numbering system for each button and LaunchBox is getting confused. In BigBox you can reassign buttons in the menu though, so if you have a Premium license give that a try, it might work better long term. The best solution would either be to wait for Jason to implement reconfiguring the controller options in LaunchBox or getting a different controller. Or using Xpadder and other programs like that to see if you could get close, but I am unsure if you will.
Buttons seem to all work fine once a game is selected. Its just in Launchbox screen all i can do is move joystick up and down left and right. Buttons do nothing to select a game. I'm guessing I'm missing a button configuration some where in launchbox. I'll buy bigbox tomorrow and get that going. Thank you for the help.

dluna33 said
CADScott said You should be able to control BigBox fine with the IPAC. I have a similar setup, and I simply changed the buttons programmed in the IPAC to be the same controls as BigBox for navigation, and reassigned the controls in MAME to be the same keys. The IPAC I have only emulates a keyboard, not sure if yours is the same.
Think this is info i need. How did you reassign between both? I thought once buttons are assigned in ipac that's it. I couldnt find documentation on this on ipac site. Thank you so much for the help. Tomorrow ill purchase bigbox and get that going. Then ill have to tacle the buttons.
From my understanding, all the IPAC devices are able to be reprogrammed. All you have to do is download their software (Ultimarc Downloads) and plug the IPAC into your PC via USB. Then you can set the buttons to be any key press you want so you can make the keys to be anything you want. Do you know exactly which model you have?

CADScott said
dluna33 said
From my understanding, all the IPAC devices are able to be reprogrammed. All you have to do is download their software (Ultimarc Downloads) and plug the IPAC into your PC via USB. Then you can set the buttons to be any key press you want so you can make the keys to be anything you want. Do you know exactly which model you have?
I have this one: https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html I did use the utility to configure a button on side of barcade to be the escape key to take me out of the game. I guess my confusion is on configuring that to control Launchbox without having to use a keyboard and mouse. I'm guessing I need BigBox first? My games play just fine and controls are spot on for the ones I have. It's just controlling LaunchBox where the controls don't do anything. Besides just direction up down left right. None of the buttons I press select a game to start it. If I modify the button mapping will it throw off how they are configured for the MAME games since those control fine already?

Since I set my machine up BigBox now supports complete remapping of it's control keys in the options. So you don't actually need to change any of your current mappings, just go into BigBox with a keyboard attached, hit escape to go to the options screen, then go to Keyboard Mappings and hit enter to select it, then go to the control you wish to change, hit enter again, then push the button on your arcade machine that you wish to use for each function. BigBox-Keys.jpg Personally I use my Player 1 Start button to play, and my six Player 1 buttons are mapped to the other functions.

CADScott said Since I set my machine up BigBox now supports complete remapping of it's control keys in the options. So you don't actually need to change any of your current mappings, just go into BigBox with a keyboard attached, hit escape to go to the options screen, then go to Keyboard Mappings and hit enter to select it, then go to the control you wish to change, hit enter again, then push the button on your arcade machine that you wish to use for each function. BigBox-Keys.jpg Personally I use my Player 1 Start button to play, and my six Player 1 buttons are mapped to the other functions.
Ah so I do need Bigbox for sure. Thank you so much for the help. I'm hoping I can work on it this evening. Long day at work. Hopefully I can figure it out from here now with your information.