LaunchBox Community Forums

Not all scummvm games showing in GUI?

lorywindrunner

Trying to change some of my dosbox games to scummvm since they work better. Some games i can switch no problem but a lot of games scummvm supports do not show in the GUI interface dosbox has for the dropdown list. If i open scummvm thrrough launchbox it will still run if i do it manually. Why are only a fraction of the supported games selectable?

• 1 year later...

Hi Lory,

I've been having this exact problem myself and have been looking for some solutions. So far I've at least been able to answer your question:

-the problem you're having is that launchbox uses an older version of ScummVM, namely 1.8.1 or something. Most SCI games (like gabriel knight) and some other games have only been able to run through scummvm 2.0.0 or later. Their database of the 1.8.1 scummvm emulator is therefore correct, but the problem lies in getting the newer scummvm version to run.

In my case, using the scummvm 2.1 git emulator (which supports more games) is the default selected emulator when i try editing details from it, however it opens 1.8.1 (which i apparently have installed somewhere on my computer) whenever i start a game. When i add a game in scummvm itself it will work, but when i try to get a game running (in this case still gabriel knight) it will give me an error telling me that no data could be found nor a path to the game, since starting it from launchbox will force the 1.8.1 version to run. A frustrating process to say the least, especially since i don't know how to change their standard scummvm emulator to mine. 

well, at least you have an answer.

And ofcourse, a few moments later, i fin the answer.

-you have to go to tools - manage emulators and check if the one you're pointing to is the right scummvm emulator. the emulator should be in a separate folder in the launchbox folder (at least it was for me). This was the older version i mentioned (1.8.1). My own scummvm emulator was in another folder entirely. Since linking to this folder didn't help (it kept opening the older version for some reason, why though???) I completely deleted the scummvm folder from the launchbox folder (don't forget to copy your games to another place if you have them in there!!). As expected, no scummvm game would launch after this, not finding a scummvm folder was an inconvenience. Copy pasting the original scummvm folder (for the 2.1.0git version) completely to the launchbox folder solved my problem. I haven't checked whether or not the drop down games list was completed now, but at least all the games supported by the latest  scummvm version work now (you can use any name, as long as you search metadata for the right game and run it that way).

hope this helped

The version that Launchbox uses can be replaced. It's located in Launchbox\ScummVM. You can overwrite it with a newer version just like you would with any other copy of ScummVM.

Keep in mind, however, that this will not actually update the drop-down list of games in the ScummVM tab when you're editing a game in your library. You can, however, still start games that aren't in the list.

1) Create a shortcut to ScummVM.exe
2) Right-click on the shortcut and go to properties
3) Go to the target path, and add the following at the end of it:
     -f -p "path\to\game\folder" [shortname for game title]
     You can find the shortnames for each game listed here: https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

Example:
     "X:\Emulation\Launchbox\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f -p "X\Emulation\ScummVM\Leisure Suit Larry" lsl1 

4) Rename the shortcut to "Leisure Suit Larry" or whatever you want.
5) Import the shortcut into Launchbox and uncheck the use ScummVM box and uncheck "use an emulator" if they're checked