LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving Collections

Obitim

Hi there! I've been using Launchbox for about a year and I've made the jump up to a 2tb external hdd and had a couple of questions: 1. I'm going to move a number of collections of games onto the HDD, will I be able to tell LB that I have moved them or will I need ot re-add them? 2. I;ve got a copy of 1001 games to play before you die and have been working through the book and adding games as a favourite in LB, after I move th egames, will LB still retain the fact that the game is a favourite?

So there are threads on this in the forums, for detailed threads please search for it. Basically however you will need Notepad++ and the ability to read through your LaunchBox.xml. All of your settings are kept in here. If you have all your roms in side the LaunchBox folder (C:\LaunchBox\Games\Insert platform name here\) then realistically you need to do nothing, just move your LaunchBox folder, it is completely portable. First, make sure to backup your LaunchBox.xml just in case something breaks and you can revert back to the replacement if need be. If your games are kept separate from your LaunchBox folder (C:\Emulators\Insert console namee\) then you'll need to do a bit of editing. The best way for the method right above this is to move your Emulators folder and change nothing else but the drive letter. So in Notepad++ you'll use Ctrl + F, click the find and Replace tab at the top, then search for C:\Emulators\ in the search box. In the replace box, change the drive letter to what the new drive letter will be, so for example if the new drive letter is D, make the replace box D:\Emulators\. These are just examples but as long as you keep your root folder name intact and the subsequent pathing the same you should be good to go. You can even technically change the folder name, so from Emulators to Emulator if you wanted, but anything past that root folder needs to stay the same for it to carry over smoothly. For every folder you change you need to use the find and replace function and it can get messy the more folders you want to change.

Cheers Santai! I did read through a few posts and wanted to make sure! My emulators and roms are all in different locations than LB but I'm happy editing an XML file so that's not an issue, and I will be keeping the structure the same so that is also cool! What's the score with favourites? Will that flag be kept? Also, does LB need ot be on the same drive as the emulators and ROMS or can I leave that on C:? Also, thank you for producing LB, I really like it and will be keeping it going when I finally upgrade my 10 year old Desktop!